Monday, November 24, 2008

I want (updated)

I want to listen to songs that have the words "I Want" somewhere near the front of the title. "I Wanna" counts, "I Don't Want (or Wanna)" doesn't.

So far I have the following songs on this playlist:

  • I Want To Hold Your Hand, by the Beatles
  • I Want You (She's So Heavy), by the Beatles
  • I Want Candy, by Bow Wow Wow (listen to that rhythm section!)
  • I Want Someone Badly, by Jeff Buckley (Jeff is the man. Or was the man, obviously)
  • I Want You, by Elvis Costello and the Attractions
  • I Wanna Be a Bear, by Descendents
  • I Want You, by Marvin Gaye (smooth!)
  • I Want To Tell You, by George Harrison
  • I Want You Back, by the Jackson 5
  • I Want You, by the Kooks
  • I Wanna Be Loved, by Ricky Nelson (wasn't he dreamy?)
  • I Want You Back, by Graham Parker
  • I Wanna Be Your Dog, by Sex Pistols (classic)
  • I Want To Take You Higher, by Sly and the Family Stone (my bad, skipping this one!)
  • I Wanna Be Adored, by the Stone Roses
  • I Want To Be the Boy To Warm Your Mother's Heart, by the White Stripes

Songs not on this playlist, or any playlist to be created by me:

  • I Want To Know What Love Is, by Foreigner: I've got a pretty good idea of what love is*, and I have to say, I don't think having to listen to this song has anything to do it
  • I Want a New Drug, by Huey Lewis and the News: You might need drugs, after listening to this song.
  • I Want a New Duck, by Weird Al Yankovic: I was tempted to download this song. Something is seriously wrong with my sense of humor tonight.
  • I Want It All, by Queen: Cheese on a stick!
  • I Want It All, by Ashley Tisdale, et al, from "High School Musical": Not the same song. Not at all.
  • I Want To Break Free, by Queen: Clearly Freddy Mercury had many wants and desires; I, however, have no desire to listen to this song
  • I Want To Live, by John Denver: Jesus Christ, this song makes me want to slit my wrists and get it over with
  • I Want You, by James Blunt: A Bob Dylan cover. I want neither Bob nor James.
  • I Want You, by Third Eye Blind: Not now, not ever
  • I Wanna Rock, by Twisted Sister
  • I Wanna Get High, by Cypress Hill: I don't need the power of suggestion working on me
  • I Want Your Sex, by George Michael: this song just confuses me.
  • I Wanna Be Committed, by Sweet: hell, no
  • I Wanna Be a Cowboy, by Boys Don't Cry: too many weird memories with this one
  • We Want a Rock, by They Might Be Giants: Obviously doesn't fall within the parameters; good title, though
  • I Want You To Want Me, by Cheap Trick: I've heard this song enough times to last me the rest of my life. And the Dwight Yoakam version is just silly. We will not speak of the Lindsay Lohan version.
  • I Want To Be Alone, by Green Day: I don't get why Green Day was (is?) so popular.
  • I Wanna Be Sedated, by the Ramones
  • I Wanna Kill Sam, by Ice Cube: I'm just glad I'm not "Sam"
  • I Wanna Marry You, by Bruce Springsteen: this is a perfect example of why I do not like Bruce Springsteen
  • I Want To Take You Higher, by Tesla, Billy Hinton (WHO?), Brian Auger (see note for "Billy Hinton"), Elusions (?), Gougoush (??), John Scott Soto (???), Sonia Dada (great horn section, whoever she is)
  • I Want, by Face to Face: I knew somebody at some point who liked this band, but I don't know who it was, or why
  • I Want You, by Kings of Leon: I suspect that Kings of Leon is a band I would really enjoy if I would just sit down and listen, but I haven't gotten there yet.
  • I Always Get What I Want, by Avril Lavigne: if I were 12 I'd be all over this; also, not exactly working with the aforementioned parameters
  • (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea, by Elvis Costello: my favorite Elvis song, again, not fitting the rules, but man, what a great song. Maybe I'll do "I Do Not Want" songs next...
  • I Want To Be You, by Hamfatter: I had never heard of these guys until I started this quest, and just from the couple of songs I've heard, including "The Girl I Love" and "Do Something Stupid Tonight," I'm curious.

I will accept suggestions and/or requests. If you've got your favorite "I Want" song and it's not here, let me know, and I'll consider adding it.

...

I also wanted to mention that I just finished watching the two episodes of The West Wing that follow the episode where President Bartlet is shot (for some reason either Bravo didn't show that episode or the DVR didn't pick it up), and I sobbed like a baby when Toby came across Josh with that big ol' wound in his abdomen (later they said "chest" but he was holding his side, no?). Sure it was only for a second (my bawling), but still. Bradley Whitford as Josh Lyman might be the perfect man. I don't know. I love him. See, Foreigner? I do know what love is.

*It's a nice tub of Ben & Jerry's "Cherry Garcia" ice cream, right?

1 comment:

  1. Yes
    I Want To Take You Higher, by Sly and the Family Stone - How could you miss this one?

    I Want It Now, from Willy Wonka (Veruca Salt) - I can see how this might not make your list

    No
    I Want It That Way, by Backstreet Boys - ack!

    All I Wanna Do, by Sheryl Crow - May not qualify just based on your criteria, but just to be safe, it's worth calling out on the NO list

    All I Want Is You, by U2 - same as above

    I'm Undecided
    I Wanna Fall In Love, by Chris Isaak - It's not really a bad song, but I don't really need to hear it anymore

    ReplyDelete