Sunday, March 13, 2011

6 weeks old

On Friday, Jules had his six week birthday! But before I write more about him, I just wanted to say that I've been reading and thinking a lot about the earthquake, tsunami and horrible situation at the nuclear power plants in Japan - a little while ago I saw a photo at the Washington Post website of a little girl being tested for radiation, and that photo really horrified me and touched my heart. I'm hoping that the people of Japan can have some peace, rest, and a safe place to live very soon. You can help by making a donation to the Red Cross. http://www.redcross.org/. Or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation using your phone.

These last couple weeks since I last wrote have been wonderful. I'm feeling like I'm finally starting to get a handle on being a mommy. Jules and I have our quiet days where we make the bed, do laundry, eat, and hang out, and then there are days when we have visitors, and those days are nice too. He's staying awake a little more during the day, and that means tummy time! He's been letting me take a shower, which has been a treat. We got as a gift a bouncy seat for him, and I put it in the bathroom and let him sit there where I can see him from the tub. I also discovered that he likes sitting with me on the swing in the backyard (not a kiddy swing). And we've been going for walks around the neighborhood using the Baby Bjorn or the stroller.

He seems to be changing his schedule, and he's been a little bit of a grumpy guy in the afternoon. I'm pretty sure that's normal baby behavior; I'm just glad he's not having full-on crying sessions or colicky symptoms. He's also been super hungry - breastfeeding has gotten a little easier, and though I love the closeness with him, it's still pretty painful. On Tuesday I have an appointment to visit Kaiser's lactation consultant to buy my breast pump. I think that will help. I just hope I didn't wait too long - I think I was supposed to start pumping three weeks ago! I don't know, I read so many things, it's hard to know sometimes what I'm "supposed to do." It will be nice for Patrick to be able to feed him and I know they'll both enjoy it.

Here's a photo I took this morning. He's super cute, if I do say so myself.

1 comment:

  1. He is such a little sweetie! That hair, oh that hair! I just want to smooch his little cheeks! I wish my close-in friends weren't all done having babies. That's great he's doing so well, and you guys too! :)

    ReplyDelete