Monday, October 17, 2011

Sprout Organic Baby Food by Tyler Florence

Patrick picked this food up for JP the other day. He'd read about it, and the reviews were amazing - people were saying stuff about how the food was so good, they would eat the leftovers if their baby couldn't finish it.

We tried it, and yep, JP was into it. He liked it. He liked it a lot. I liked it too (my only complaint is that the package is a little hard to handle neatly). On Saturday, I was about halfway through a container of Summer Squash, Yukon Gold Potatoes and Parmesan (which he was loving), when my brain suddenly turned on. Parmesan. Parmesan. Parmesan is cheese. Cheese from cow's milk. Cow's milk was on that list of foods I was given by a nutrition that shouldn't be given to babies before they turn 12 months old.

So. I took the food away and substituted something else (and let me tell you, JP was not happy about that), and I called the toll-free number on the package.

Not to complain: I should've checked the label before feeding it to him, so this one was on me (bad mommy!) but to question. I told them how much my baby enjoys the food but that I was concerned about the presence of a cow's milk product in a food marketed to infants, who, I thought, were not supposed to have cow's milk.

I didn't expect to, but this morning I received a call back from a woman named Sherry from the company. She explained to me that because the cow's milk in the cheese has been cooked, that the hard-to-digest enzymes have been eliminated, and that it's OK to give it to babies at this stage.

That phone call accomplished two things:

  1. It relieved my mind. I thought I'd totally messed up by giving him cheese.
  2. It made me want to tell everybody to go pick up some Sprout Organic Baby Food for your baby. They'll love it, and you will too.

http://www.sproutbabyfood.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment