Monday, June 28, 2010

What's up with the wacky dreams?

It's been about a month or three weeks and I've been having some seriously strange dreams lately. Luckily for you I don't feel the need to share all of them with you, but it's getting... crazy.

Last night I dreamed that I lived in this huge, beautiful home that was a little bit like Fallingwater. It was built on a hillside and had lots of glass and terraces but the lines were softer and there was no rock or brick decoration. Also missing? The awesome "falling water." Still, it was Fallingwater in spirit. It was painted in the softest white you can imagine, where everything had what I think construction people call a "bull nose" finish. I have done no scholarly research on Frank Lloyd Wright's opinions on bull nose finishes. This dream was probably not architecturally accurate.

Anyway, I lived in this gorgeous house with my parents, my brothers and sister, and (of course) Patrick, but the place was so huge it was like we were living a few blocks away. We had our own driveway and garage and terrace - bigger than a balcony, surrounded by glass. There was little furniture - everything was minimal and soft and some shade of white or cream. I suspect Robert Heinlein's descriptions of the furnishings in the "Church of All Worlds" headquarters from "Stranger in a Strange Land" had something to do with this.

But it wasn't just a beautiful house that I was dreaming of, no, there was danger, too! I woke up at 2:22 a.m. with a kitty on my left arm and lay there for a long time trying to remember just what was going on. Here's what I came up with: a group of men were seeking to invade our home, for what purpose, I have no idea. They actually succeeded in entering the house one time, and were somehow repelled. I was the only one home who understood that they would be coming back (there seems to be a theme in the two back-to-back dreams I've had this week, wherein I hold the answer to everything. That's pretty funny, isn't it!), though I do recall talking to my dad (in the dream) about it.

I was in my room, alone, at the top of the house, when I realized a breach was in progress, and I was standing on the terrace that connected to the top floor garage where our cars were parked. I could see down the hillside to where the intruders were attempting to get in. I had my iPhone in my hand, and even though the intruders were very far away, I was being cautious about what I actually said as I talked to the 911 operator I'd called.

I snuck into the garage, which was accessible through an old fashioned wooden garden gate off the terrace (the gate was the only thing on the property, besides me of course, that wasn't white. It was painted a very dark shade of green) and got into a sparkling pearl-silver Mercedes (our neighbor has a silver Mercedes; in real life I drive a 6-year old dark gray Honda) and sped down the winding driveway (all the while with 911 on mute on my phone; I could hear her but she couldn't hear me. Interesting way to summon help!), where I intercepted the bad guys, relieved them of their guns, embarrassed them mightily by running them off the property, and finally told the 911 operator that her services were no longer needed.

I was surprised, when I woke at 2:22 a.m., that it was so early. Patrick and I have been trying to go to bed earlier these days (I really need more than 6 hours of sleep, especially on workdays), but even after turning off the reading lamp and being sleepy at 10:15, it was hard to go to sleep right away. I couldn't get comfortable. I don't know what time I actually fell asleep, but the dream had me convinced that much more time had elapsed. I was glad it wasn't 5 o'clock yet though, and I did eventually go back to sleep, where I either didn't dream any more or I didn't record what I had dreamed. Instead, I guess I cuddled up to Franny and just... slept.

When it was time to get up, my alarm was no longer set, which I found curious, because I had been careful to turn it on and set it for 5:30 (the absolute latest I can get out of bed and into the shower) before shutting off the light. Did I turn it off in my sleep? Did Franny? Or was it one of the intruders?

I believe MB calls this color "iridium silver." Pretty, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment