I lucked out.
It all started with the Toadies' version of "A Forest" by the Cure. That's an excellent song (I love the original, but the cover, which retains the repetition and creepilicious vibe, has a bit of a harder edge and a slight push that I love so much), and after listening to it (several times; traffic on the 5 was slow), I finally cued up the original, which I remember listening to while lying on the floor in Missy's room way back in the 80s while looking at her NaNa catalog and talking about boys. I'm pretty sure she had that funny shag carpet (was it lime green?); she probably had pink or purple hair. I was my usual dorky self.
And then my iPod played the rest of these amazing songs.
- 25th Floor, by Patti Smith
- One Life's Enough, by the Who
- Sonny's Burning, by the Birthday Party
- Love You To, by the Beatles
- I Wanna Be a Bear, by Descendents
- Crosseyed and Painless, by Talking Heads
- The Telephone is Empty, by Love & Rockets
- Radio, Radio, by Elvis Costello
- Stare Too Long, by Corrosion of Conformity
- Yer Blues, by the Beatles