Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Count to 20

So, Jules has continued to night nurse all this time. It's down to two times a night, which I guess is way better than three times a night, but it's still rough on me. I can't sleep and nurse him, and sometimes it's hard to go back to sleep, and sometimes he wants to nurse for an hour.

Yesterday I was reading some of the forums over at La Leche League's website, and I read this tip: when baby wakes up to nurse, tell him that he can only do it until you count to ten, and then you have to go back to sleep.

He went to sleep last night around 8:45, and slept in his bed until around 10 o'clock, when he came into our bed, but then he went right back to sleep. He woke up around 12:30, and I let him nurse as usual. He didn't take very long and we both went back to sleep. But when he woke up at 2, I was ready to try it. I didn't think counting to ten was going to fly, so instead I counted to twenty.

Boob 1: I counted to twenty, and then told him it was time to switch. We switched.
Boob 2: I counted to twenty, could tell that he was not ready, and added another ten. Then we stopped.

He cried a little, but I rubbed his back and talked to him and after awhile, he cuddled up to his daddy. I kept rubbing his back and telling him it was OK, and then he came back over to me, which was sweet. We talked about how mama is tired and needs to go night night. He kind of held onto my arm for awhile. It took him some time to get comfortable, but eventually he did fall asleep.

I'm not sure if I did. My alarm went off at 4:45, but it's entirely possible that I was still awake. I got up and out of bed around 5:15, and he's still in there sleeping with Patrick.

Maybe we can get this night nursing down to once a night. I'd really love that. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment