Thursday, June 19, 2008

One on one

I think it's funny that someone in the city of Paramount thought it would be a good idea to name their business "Onan." Onan is just one of those words that, once you learn what it refers to, you never forget. I suppose the business is named after, I suppose, Judah's son, from the Bible, but even knowing who "Onan" is doesn't really explain why you'd want your scrap metal (or whatever) business named that.

I've always liked the word "onanism," having learned it the same year I learned the difference between "flatulence" and "flagellation" (it was a good year). It doesn't get used enough, don't you think? To me, though, the minute I first heard the word, I pretty much instantly thought of that Hall & Oates song, "One on One." Now, I realize that's a song about a guy missing a girl, but still. I mean, suddenly, for me, that silly little pop song took on a meaning I don't think either Daryl or John originally had in mind.

I am curious, though: just what does this business do? Next time I go to El Pollo Loco I'm going to check it out. I'll keep you posted.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Oh, and regarding the afore-mentioned change? Ah. I just needed a break. And to think. Thinking is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment