Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Lesson learned

Yesterday, Patrick and I went to the Breast Center at Kaiser and I had another examination.

This time, the doctor didn't feel anything (well. She felt something but I suspect it wasn't much of a thrill for either of us). However, because I think she could tell that I was a bit on the "freaked out" side, she recommended that I go back for a mammogram, when I get a chance, to ease my wacked out mind. Being as I'm a bit young (yay! too young for something) she put it in writing and on my chart, so that the mammogram people won't give me a hard time. I'm going to go do that on Friday. A full report will be forthcoming.

Obviously I am relieved. I mean: Yes. Absolutely: I am relieved. Everyone I spoke to about this made a point of telling me not to worry, and I really appreciate their kind words (on Friday my friend Bo even paid me a rather inappropriate compliment; surprisingly this worked well to temporarily quell my worries), but it was definitely eye-opening to be in this position. I have things to think about, about the way I have been treating my body, about the way I deal with the doctor's office, about the silly thoughts in my head.

Patrick, as usual, was realistic, calming, sweet, and really, really understanding. I am so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment