Monday, March 5, 2012

Dr. Reid

I went to the doctor today, because I have been having a little pain in the breast that I surgery on last year. Oh, I guess I should warn you that this is going to be full of lots of personal details, so if you don't like that, I suggest you go look up stereo equipment on Craigslist. Just a little tip to you, from me.

I was concerned, because I know that what I had last year, can reoccur, especially since my breasts have been really tender lately when Exton nurses. I also know that tenderness can happen before your period starts, but I've only gotten it once since he was born, so how do I know? I got my period in January (the first one since having my baby, almost a full year later), and it was weird (oh, I will spare you the details, fine!). I didn't get it in February. And that time right before I got my surgery was horrible and having an infection sucked. I decided not to mess around, so I called this morning at 7 a.m. and made an appointment with Dr. Reid. Dr. Reid was not my doctor when this all happened last year; I think he would've taken care of me better, but that story is over, and it is what it is.

Dr. Reid is youngish, kind, respectful, funny and handsome, and I like him a lot. Well, I don't know, he's a little goofy, but in a good way, and anyway, in case you haven't noticed, that's kind of my "type." He's very easy to talk to. When I take Ex with me, he is very sweet to him. He asked me if I wanted to have a mammogram, even though the guidelines for mammograms indicates that women don't need to have them until age 50. I've already had one because a few years ago, my OB thought she felt a lump during the breast exam (another thing I guess they don't do anymore); that turned out okay, even though I ended up having to do it twice because the geniuses at Kaiser lost my film. I certainly don't want to have a mammogram while I'm breastfeeding, so he said he'd order it but only if I wean the baby in the next three months, otherwise it's okay to wait. He laughed when I said I didn't think that was going to happen. Honestly, for all their pro-breastfeeding propaganda, I don't think the Kaiser doctors see a lot of women who continue to nurse after the first year. He's cool about it, and way more informed than a lot of doctors, though, so that's fine.

I told him everything I've written here plus the details you have been spared, and then, while he went out to get a female nurse chaperon so he could examine me, I put on some lip gloss. Which is silly and ridiculous but it's what I did, so I guess I'm silly and ridiculous. News flash. The nurse was nice too, and because Dr. Reid is young, and kind, and funny, and respectful and goofy/handsome, halfway through the exam I almost started cracking up like a 15 year old. Except, as a 15 year old I probably had more sense. And my breasts were smaller.  Anyway, he didn't feel anything (except my BOOB, and I of course avoided eye contact with him while this was happening or else I really would have laughed; I talked to the nurse, who laughed at my jokes. Oh yeah, I make jokes during a breast examination, because if you don't, that's when they find a lump. You didn't know that? Well, they were lame jokes, but still) or suspect an infection, so after he left so I could get dressed and then came back again, he gave me a prescription for higher strength Aleve, talked about some other minor things I wanted to talk about (related to my visit, of course), and sent me on my way.

I had my giggle after he finally left for good, though I don't know exactly what it was about the situation that struck me so funny. He told me to call him if I have any symptoms of an infection. I feel better now. I'm glad it was nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment