Wednesday, September 15, 2010

If I ruled the world?

On my way to work this morning, when a big ol' truck tried, for some unknown reason, to keep me from merging from the 105 onto the 710, I remembered something I had read a long time ago about a proposed route dedicated to trucks, intended to clear the road for non-commercial drivers. I don't know what kind of reality that is, but I also was thinking about how it could also be a good idea to have a time period during which they were banned (6 a.m. to 9 a.m.; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.) from the highways. I'm sure this would anger the dudes who drive the trucks. I don't know, I'm not smart enough or rich enough to study this (and I'm sure it's been done or thought of) for the economical or community impact but it seems like a good idea to me. I know California has zero money to do anything and I'm really not thinking much further beyond my own selfish inclination to wish for a better personal commute, but... damn I hate those trucks.

It's also true that my brain this morning was a little bit scrambled because I was out very late last night at rehearsal for "Paradise Park," the next show at City Garage (opens this Friday!). They had their photo session and that always runs late and then of course we ran the whole show as we've been doing and there were some issues that required us to stop, so by the time we hit the very complicated but fun (and funny) curtain call around 11:15, my thought processes had slowed down to the point where I was surprised I could even do what I needed to do. I think I was screwing up light cue 102.2 when Charles, who was talking me via the little headphones we wear, may have called me "baby."

I didn't take it personally or even react to it at the time but later, it made me laugh.

It's funny, because he watches the show out in the house with Frederique, and the view from out there is so radically different (to my eyes) that sometimes I wonder just what the hell I'm supposed to be looking at. I mean, they have a full view of the action, and not only that, but they have their own vision of what's supposed to be on stage and I've only seen the show like 5 times by this point. And my brain doesn't always grasp the big picture quickly enough. It's what makes the night when Charles takes over the booth and I get to sit in the audience and watch the show like a normal person so magical. For instance, I really have no idea what's going on over there on stage right because I literally have to stand next to the wall and crane my head to see it. Still, I'm having fun and he's, I think, happy with what I'm doing and understands that sometimes it gets complicated and sometimes I get flustered, but most of the time I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing when I'm supposed to be doing it. What happens a lot is, if I make a mistake and he's talking to me about adjusting the last cue but the action on stage is continuing, and our conversation makes me late for the next light cue, and then trying to notate what he just told me while following what's still going on makes me wonder if I don't have some form of ADD. I mean, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to follow... two things at once. And then instead of being relaxed I get a little tense and paranoid about screwing up? I know I can do it, it's not the issue, and he's being nice, but I wonder about me sometimes. Still, I'm excited about this show. I think it's going to be really good. And I have one more tech rehearsal before opening night.

I could write more about that but I just walked in the door 10 minutes ago and I'm dead tired and I have a package to open from Gap Maternity so I'm going to leave it here.

I know I haven't blogged much lately but besides being in rehearsal for the past week and being pregnant there's really not much going on. The baby continues to grow. My co-workers have all noticed (except for one sweet woman who claimed I didn't look fat to her and had to be told) and figured it out. My mom is getting very excited. We checked out a daycare we hope to be able to send the baby to once I go back to work. We're narrowing down the names.And now? Now I'm going to bed. See you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment