Saturday, October 30, 2010

A not so scary Halloween story

The day spa that I go to is close, convenient, and awesome. I started going there about seven or eight years ago when my aesthetician, who I had followed from a few different spas (including her own space) started working there. I was always impressed with the service and the people there. She left a while ago to go into another career, but I continued going there. I've found that for the most part I love having the owner do my waxing and facials, but over the years I've had other people for services. I've heard a glimmer of a rumor of the possibility of ghost stories, but never really paid any attention to them because a) I don't believe in ghosts and b) I'm there to relax, not ponder the afterlife.

(Examples of the kinds of stories I've heard: the bathroom light occasionally turns off and on by itself. I've experienced this myself, but always chalk it up to my own inability to operate the light switch in that bathroom, which is a little tricky. Also, supposedly voices have been heard after hours, and the sound system apparently has a life of it's own. None of these things, except for the light switch, have been experienced by me personally. Also, none of them are particularly violent or scary.)

One day I was getting a facial with a girl who was not my usual aesthetician. The service was okay, but I thought she was a tad bit rougher on my skin than I was used to. It wasn't really unpleasant, and she was nice, but it was a different style of facial. At that point I was about 14 weeks pregnant, and I did fall asleep a little, so it couldn't have been bad, just different from what I'm used to. She lectured me a little bit on my skin care regimen (which I deserved, because I've been lax about it. I just don't really know what products are safe to use while pregnant, so I've been sticking with Cetaphil, which I know is gentle, but it's not very effective, either), and then at some point she left the room to get something (the rooms don't have running water; I think she went to get some warm water).

While she was gone I kept my eyes closed and dosed and felt a little bit of that drowsy, floaty feeling I get sometimes when I'm getting a massage or a facial. It could just be low blood pressure, but I love that feeling - I know I'm relaxed and comfortable.

While I was lying there (eyes closed), I heard the door open, and felt, her, I thought, squeeze my left foot through the blankets that were covering me (I usually get cold in those rooms, and usually love that they use a heated table. I haven't been using the heat though, since I've been pregnant, so I always get an extra blanket). I thought it was the aesthetician, letting me know she was back in the room. The squeeze wasn't something the aestheticians usually do, but at the time it didn't strike me as odd, especially since I don't really know this girl at all. It wasn't painful, it didn't hurt, it didn't bother me... until about 10 minutes when the door opened again, and the aesethetician really came back in the room.

She hadn't been there at all.

No one else had come into the room.

Interestingly, I didn't freak out. I pretty much instantly knew that it was OK. I wasn't scared. I've been there a few times since, the first time for waxing. When you're waxed, if it's just facial hair (eyebrows, etc.), and you don't have to take off your clothes, the aesthetician comes in and leaves the room with you. There's no reason for her to leave you alone. So that time I was fine. I could've said something, but I didn't. The other times I was there was for massages, and the massage therapist does leave you, so that you can dress and undress, but nothing weird happened, and I didn't mention it to anyone.

Still. I think about it. Who (or what!) squeezed my foot?

No comments:

Post a Comment