Monday, July 2, 2012

Back to it!

I came back to work this morning. I drove in drinking my yummy coffee (yesterday I had 4 cups which is way too much!) and listening to some awesome music - here's a partial playlist:
  1. Lazy Eye, by Silversun Pickups
  2. Crosseyed and Painless, by the Talking Heads (continuing the theme; for those who haven't noticed, this is my affliction)
  3. Atoms for Peace, by Thom Yorke
  4. Making Plans for Nigel, by XTC
  5. It's quite a nice shot of my surprisingly
    clean dashboard, no?
  6. Everywhere That I'm Not, by Translator
There was hardly any traffic (I think I'm taking the week before the 4th of July off every year; coming back to a 3 day week is an excellent idea, especially when the day off is a Wednesday!), and I flew down the 710 (except for the time I got behind some dude doing 60 in the fast lane). Oh, and I think I saw Steve Sanders. He and I trailed each other, then I lost him for awhile. He caught up to me at the 5, and I waved as he passed. No idea if he was even paying attention but it's fun when you keep seeing the same car. Isn't it? Or is that just me?

Anyway, I got in to work 6 minutes early, and I sat in the car and listened to one more song (Love is the Drug, by Roxy Music) in the parking lot while I looked for my work ID badge, which I thought was in my car but apparently isn't. I did change purses a couple of times while I was off, so who knows, maybe it's at home. Patrick will look. The baby enjoys playing with it, so that could be the problem.

Once I got up to my desk, I had to change my computer password (it expired while I was out) and I found 149 emails waiting for me. Not bad, actually. I've had worse. Though, I was just talking to a friend who claims to receive 400 emails on a daily basis (I said "claims" as if to imply I don't believe them, but I do!); if this were my life, I might have to kill myself. Seriously. 400 emails!? No. That's all I  have to say about that: NO.

One of the messages in my in-box was this one, which was sent in response to an invitation to a Lunch and Learn session I had sent out to the whole department while I was gone.
From: MC
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 7:27 AM
To: Irene Palma
Subject: Nutrition sessions

Irene,

In the event you may not be aware but most of us in the Purchasing and Contracts Services are, even the week inclusive of the 12th, extremely busy with last minute deadlines before the official fiscal year closing for purchase transactions. These health-related sessions are well intended but very untimely, at least for this department.

MC
After I stopped laughing (it took awhile), I sent this response:
From: Irene Palma
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 7:38 AM
To: MC
Cc: AA [my boss; I thought she might need a laugh, too]
Subject: RE: Nutrition sessions

Hi, M,

Unfortunately I had no prior knowledge of the deadlines in your section. We will be attempting to schedule these events more frequently. Hopefully there will be a future Lunch & Learn that will work for you.

Thank you,
Irene

Irene Casarez Palma, Administrative Assistant II
Departmental Wellness Manager
Human Resources - Risk Management Section
(323) XXX-XXXX / Telephone
(323) XXX-XXXX / Fax
Then I got this message, which kind of blew my mind with it's earnestness. 
From: MC
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 7:42 AM
To: Irene Palma
Subject: RE: Nutrition sessions
That would be good. I was lucky to have learned nutrition straight from Dietitians who worked with me and for me. I will look forward to another session as we cannot know too much about what is good for us.

What is good for us? Who can say? I look forward to finding out, too. I feel a little bad for laughing now. But not too bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment