Saturday, February 10, 2007

Birthday Adventure, Explained

In the town where I grew up, they've been doing a lot of construction on the freeway overpasses. It's a rather quiet little neighborhood, with these overpasses cutting through. No freeway traffic, just the overpasses.

(As an aside, which would be indicated by my use of parenthesis, therefore this explanation is not really necessary; when I lived at home with my parents, and used to stay up at night reading or after coming home from somewhere, I would always hear, every night at 11:45 p.m., what sounded to me like a train whistle. There are no trains in the town where I grew up - it was probably a truck horn, or something else entirely: I don't know. But the town I live in now is pretty much perfectly quiet at 11:45 p.m. I kind of miss the night noises of that town, which was a lot less small-town than the place I live now, a fact I didn't have much appreciation for when I was living there.)

Anyway, when I've driven through, on my way to my parents' house or to flute choir, I've noticed that the construction has involved them using these big white sheets of wood (does wood come in "sheets"?) that are highly illuminated. I usually drive through at night, and the effect of these super bright white wooden sheets seemed to me like the perfect place to have one's photograph taken.

I've been thinking this for awhile, but it's taken me a few months to actually do it.

Tonight, on our way home from dinner with my parents and my brothers and sister, (my mom made my childhood favorite, chicken mole, with corn and mashed potatoes [I know, odd combination; but delicious]) we finally stopped and took the pictures. It was fun, and I'm honestly surprised I didn't fall on my ass - that I-beam thing I'm standing on was about 6" wide, and I was wearing flip flops. Also, I'm not known for my grace!

Anyway, they're sort of what I had in mind; ignore my shabby outfit... I wanted to be comfortable today. I really like the photo here; I just wish my eyes were open. I look a little robot-like, which I like. Hair looks great, double chin - not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment