Thursday, February 22, 2007

Mrs. The Bean Struggles to Adjust to a Lack of Service

I've been home less than 24 hours, and I'm wondering... when they're going to come clean up my room. I even left for awhile, and ran some errands, leaving them plenty of opportunity to come in and dust, and make the bed and stuff, but no, no one's been here yet.

I'm going to flute choir in a couple of hours, and when I get home, will the turn-down service have been completed? Will there be ice in the ice bucket? Gentle lighting switched on? Chocolates on the pillows? Robe and slippers laid out on the bed? Smooth jazz on the radio?

(Yeah, I could live without the smooth jazz, but I'll give them a break for not knowing that Patrick and I prefer Jesus Lizard to David Sanborn at bedtime.)

...

Speaking of music in Colorado Springs, I happened upon a radio station one morning. I like to listen to NPR in the morning when I get up, read the paper or a magazine before having to get up out of bed. I don't usually have time to listen while lying in bed at home, and so my NPR listening starts when I get in the shower, but while on vacation, lounging around doing nothing seems to be my specialty. Anyway, one morning (Monday or Tuesday, I can't narrow it down better than that) I was doing just that, listening to NPR on the radio. However, the NPR station I found in Colorado Springs was like KCRW here in Los Angeles, and switched to music at 9 a.m. I'm not a huge fan of of KCRW's music, and I figured the same would be true of this station in Colorado, so I started switching the channel.

I stopped at 89.7 FM, which turned out to be KEPC, the radio station of Pikes Peak Community College. The song playing that caught my attention was "Girl U Want," by Devo - which you never hear on the radio. So I stuck around and listened for awhile. I may have dozed off, because some time passed. Maybe five or six songs later, I heard something that was just awesome. A rock song with epic overtones, it really impressed me, but I couldn't recognize the singer or anything about it; it could've been anything because the station was playing a good combination of songs I knew, and songs I didn't. All I can say is, it wasn't Incubus.

So this afternoon I sent an email to the station, requesting the playlists for Monday and Tuesday. No idea how if that's possible, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment