Saturday, January 12, 2008

But Not For Me / And, Another Missed Opportunity

The other day I was wandering around the supermarket, and I'm not sure if I've told you, but starting with January 1, I decided it was time to reverse the effects of Thanksgiving and Christmas (I gained 4 pounds) and get back on track, food-wise, so when I came across Pepperidge Farm's 100 Caolorie Pouches - I was pretty excited.

The version that I was particularly excited to see - Chocolate Chunk - is only 2 Weight Watchers points, and I took home a package. Five bags later... (no I did not eat them all in one sitting) and I realized that some things just aren't worth it. Robert Heinlein has been telling me there's no such thing as a free lunch (TANSTAAFL!) since the 7th grade, but you know me and applying knowledge to everyday life...

So I don't know if my reaction is due to a fast, uh, metabolism or just an incompatibility between my digestive system and whatever ingredients are contained in those tiny little bite-size mouthfuls of yumminess (because they are very tasty), I just know that my reaction was unpleasant and rather graphic and will not be described further, here.

So. I think the thing to remember here is yes, portion control is very important. But I'm not going to waste my time with low-cal cookies anymore. If I want a damn cookie, I'm going to eat a damn cookie. A real cookie. Maybe one that I baked myself.

Just to be clear, this isn't some kind of low-key rant against Pepperidge Farm. I love their products and part of the problem in the last couple of months has been my inability to say no to their "Mini Milano" cookies. I'm not saying you'll experience the same thing I experienced from eating their Chocolate Chunk cookies, I'm just saying that my personal experience was no fun for me. Eat what you want, I'm not here to tell you what to do.

On Tuesday, Andy Summers did a book signing at Amoeba Records in Hollywood. I didn't go - Patrick had a cold - and now I wish I had. Meeting tiny adorable Andy (I seem to have an odd affinity in today's post for things that are "mini," hmmm...) would probably have been a very interesting experience, and it would've been good for me to speak to a member of the Police to whom I am not, well, let's just say "attracted" (let's get it straight - I'm not attracted to Sting, either). There's nothing wrong with him, he's just not my cup of tea. My heart belongs to Stewart, what can I say?

I'm sure Stewart did not attend (Andy wasn't in attendance at his Guitar Center signing), but it would've been fun for me to peer around excitedly, looking for him.

Also it looks like Andy was not as uptight as Stewart was re: photographs. Click here to see some.

No comments:

Post a Comment