Sunday, March 25, 2007

20 Mile Bike Ride: Mission Accomplished

Today was the day. We went on our bike ride. Before we left, Patty had me try some of this crazy stuff she has called "Zipfizz." It's this stuff you add to your water, and it supposedly has all these vitamins and crap to make you exercise better. I have no idea if it worked, since I hd nothing to compare it to.

We started out in Culver City at about 2:45... If you've never been on the bike path through Culver City: the path makes several dips down and up again under about six major streets until you get to the Marina. Those dips were surprisingly difficult. Remember: I grew up riding this bike path, going to school, to Missy's house, etc. - it used to be pretty easy, and a lot of fun. However, today? In my old and decrepit state? Hard work, to say the least.

After that, you're riding mostly along the coast, south to El Segundo, which is where we were headed. I thought it might be easier when we started going south (the wind was pretty strong in our faces the whole way to the beach), but, well, I was wrong.

I have to admit that it was a bit of a blow to my ego: I was really working hard today, doing something that used to be a lot easier. Granted, I wasn't riding my own bike, and it has been a long time since I did anything really strenuous, and I'm a lot older and fatter than I used to be... but I guess I did expect it to be a lot easier than it was. There were actually moments when I was breathing so hard, I was almost wheezing!

So we made it there in about an hour and a half. I needed a few breaks, which, it goes without saying, I never needed before. The wind was pretty strong today! Anyway, once we got there, we found a couple of benches to crash on, and we sat for about a half hour and drank some water and got our breath back. Then we turned around and headed home.

It was easier heading back home... the wind was mostly at our backs, and that helped. Patty was still about a whole block ahead of me, but I was able to mostly keep her in sight, unlike the way down. We agreed on that before-hand: I didn't want my slow pace to drag her down! And she was super encouraging whenever we took a break, and would cheer me on as I very slowly pulled up to her. There was one spot where I just couldn't pedal the bike up the steep incline going under Inglewood Boulevard, and again: haven't had to get off and walk since I was a little kid! Anyway, the ride home took only about 70 minutes, which was better.

But now? My butt hurts.