Monday, June 15, 2009

Nectarines in the night

Last night after I got home from Cristina's concert (which was lovely, by the way!), instead of going to bed, I sat on the couch and watched Food Network's show "Chopped" from 1o-11. I'm not crazy about this show but I do like Ted Allen (the host), and sometimes it's entertaining. I have to say that I'm getting a little tired of cooking challenge shows like this but I haven't been watching much TV lately and I think I just wanted to veg.

Patrick was still fixing that person's computer and was in the other room with all the cats.

(To be honest, I was hoping I might find a rerun of "She's Got The Look" or the new Bravo show with Isaac Mizrahi - I really like him!, or even "Top Chef Masters," but I didn't flip much and was lazy and just went straight to Food Network.)

At 10:30, I got up and went into the kitchen to look for some chips (I just bought some delicious baked Kettle chips last week) or something else crunchy (pita chips: yummy, but all gone) or even to make some popcorn (we're out, and I'm trying to give it a rest), but we didn't have anything. Perhaps I could've made some toast but I'm not even sure we have bread. We need to go to the store. So instead I ate a nectarine. I don't know what it is about nectarines; this is the second one I've had since buying them at Whole Foods last week, but my sleep since then has been totally screwed up.

Yes. I'm talking about two nectarines within the span of about 7 days, disturbing a grown woman's sleep pattern.

Here's what Wikipedia had to say:
The nectarine is a cultivar group of peach that has a smooth, fuzzless skin. Though fuzzy peaches and nectarines are commercially regarded as different fruits, with nectarines often erroneously believed to be a crossbreed between peaches and plums, or a "peach with a plum skin", they belong to the same species as peaches. Several genetic studies have concluded in fact that nectarines are created due to a recessive gene, whereas a fuzzy peach skin is dominant.[6] Nectarines have arisen many times from peach trees, often as bud sports.

As with peaches, nectarines can be white or yellow, and clingstone or freestone. On average, nectarines are slightly smaller and sweeter than peaches, but with much overlap.[6] The lack of skin fuzz can make nectarine skins appear more reddish than those of peaches, contributing to the fruit's plum-like appearance. The lack of down on nectarines' skin also means their skin is more easily bruised than peaches.

The history of the nectarine is unclear; the first recorded mention in English is from 1616,[7] but they had probably been grown much earlier within the native range of the Peach in central and eastern Asia.

Not very helpful in this instance, but I do like the words "fuzzy" and "peach" combined like that. Very cute. "Fuzzy peach" is one of those phrases that kind of makes you happy just saying it. Also, who knew that the "down" on a peach is what protects it from bruising? And "bud sports" is adorable. Seriously, how cute is that?

Anyway, I am glad I read that, because I slept poorly last night (Patrick says I was kicking him, but I don't remember doing that), and I was feeling blah today, but "fuzzy peach" is cheering me up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment