Saturday, June 6, 2009

Saturday in D.C.

Today we did lots of stuff, and it all included a ton of walking.
Our feet hurt. Mine feel like two pieces of bread. Two very flat, throbbing pieces of bread.

We went to the Arlington National Cemetery (where we heard the Netherlands Carillon and saw the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldiers and the Iwo Jima memorial), we walked over the river back into D.C., we saw the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monuments again, we saw the Vietnam and Korean War Memorials, I bought a hot dog on the street, we rode the Metro many times and I messed up my card with $9.75 remaining and got to talk with the station manager guy, we ate a delicious dinner at an unexpected place (Gordon Biersch; who knew?), I unknowingly flirted with the waiter (Patrick claims I was, I don't think I was, but he did look like Rick Bayless...) and scored Patrick a free coffee.

Various words and phrases overheard on this trip:

Patrick: Excellent. [In response to most everything, including the news that his coffee would be free.]

Irene: I did not come all the way to Washington, D.C. to jay walk.

Patrick: Which way do we want? New Carrollton or Vienna?
Irene: Vienna?
Patrick: NO.

Tomorrow our plans involve finding this falafel restaurant I read about online called New Amsterdam Falafel (or something like that) and a bunch of museums and various other places we didn't manage to hit today (my feet are wondering: where didn't we go to today?).

We're having a fun time. Today was super long and, as I said, involved lots of walking, but now we are back in our hotel and getting ready to veg. The hotel is fine (we're at the Hilton, in Arlington, VA) and our room is nothing special, however, it's very clean, and our bed (a king) is most comfortable, so I will bid you adieu and go up to join Patrick.

Excellent!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a joyous time!
    Enjoy the city, each other, and the living history.
    All the best,
    Terry

    ReplyDelete