Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday's update

Hi, everyone,

Last week we got some news about my mom's treatment: her last CT scan shows that the spot on her liver has increased in size by 20%. Her doctor is recommending two more months of chemotherapy. On Friday we'll see the doctor and ask him some questions, but for now this is the latest.

Mom's doing okay - chemo makes her tired, and takes away her sense of taste; most things taste "metallic" to her, which I'm sure you can imagine is no fun. She handled the news about the lesion well. This weekend she and my dad went to the desert to visit with their old friend, and I think being able to get away and visit is good for her.

I wanted to share with you a pretty cool story:

A friend of mine from school who I haven't seen in 20 years (Terry) recently got back in touch with me, thanks to Facebook. This has turned out to be a surprise blessing. He currently lives in Paris, France with his beautiful wife and children, and he has made it a point to offer me lots of support and friendship, which I appreciate so much.

A couple of weeks ago, Terry ran a 10K in France, and he dedicated his run to my mom. Last week I received in the mail the medal that he got for his run, and a beautiful letter that he wrote to my mom. She was really touched by this. Terry, my mom appreciated so much your words of hope.

People really are awesome sometimes.

Thanks to all of you for your support and for being a part of this.

Love you,
Irene

No comments:

Post a Comment