Thursday, January 12, 2012

Me & you, remembering

I think I've mentioned before that I was not very cool in High School... but one of the funnest* and (to me anyway) coolest things I did was go see the band fIREHOSE. I saw them at least 3 times, at the Palomino and McCabe's Guitar Shop (where I met the man who could write with both hands at the same time; I believe his name was Jeff!), and the shows, especially the one at McCabe's, were kind of magical to me at the time (George Hurley, a great drummer and fun to watch always, was particularly insanely talented that night, and had what seemed like a thousand cymbals all going at once, including the cutest and tiniest splash cymbal I'd ever seen).

The funny thing about this was that of course I was totally unfamiliar with the Minutemen until about 5 years ago. I don't know how that happened. I'm glad I get it now but it took me a while to circle back. (For the record, I think I've always been a fan of Creedence.)

I heard Mike, Ed, and George are reuniting at the Coachella music festival. I've never been to Coachella; actually, it's always kind of intimidated me with it's massive list of bands and the huge crowds. I might have a touch of agoraphobia (which could explain why I often have coughing attacks in places like baseball stadiums or, even worse, on stage) or maybe I'm just shy (ha. "maybe"). Anyway, we're not going to Coachella this year.

I was just looking at the list of shows fIREHOSE is doing before they head to Coachella, and unfortunately none of them is close enough for us to get a babysitter and go to. I guess the Palomino is closed.

It would be kind of fun to go to Santa Cruz, wouldn't it.







*I can't explain why I enjoy using this word, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment