Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sick Again

(Who knew that "Sick Again," the Led Zeppelin song, is a somewhat mean dispatch to the band's "pathetic" [Jimmy Page's word] groupies? Thanks, Wikipeda... I guess!)

JP, who had a cough 2 weeks ago, got better last week, now has the cough again. Last night he had another fever. Not too high - he was his usual happy little self but he was also a little whiny at bed time. That is not usual. Anyway, once he fell asleep, he seemed to require my presence (we all are still sleeping together, but most of the time, once he falls asleep, he's cool in his own little area of the bed, which is nice). Perhaps "coughing on mommy" made him feel better? I stayed up until 2. Around 12:30 I finally gave up on falling asleep. I couldn't get comfortable, I couldn't turn off my brain. I tried reading, I tried playing games on my iPhone... I just couldn't sleep. At 2 I woke up Patrick and asked him to take over, which he quite willingly did. Even then it took me about a half hour to fall asleep. Then my alarm went off at 5:25, and somehow I got up. I even took a shower.

This morning his fever is gone and Patrick says he seems like he feels better, but I'll be checking on them frequently today.

Oh, so this is what parenting is! I'm probably being simplistic here but I like it better when the baby isn't sick.

...

Another reason I probably couldn't sleep... my mom starts chemotherapy again today. She was off for quite some time, because she had a really, really bad reaction to the last round. She spent a week in the hospital at Thanksgiving. I worry that she's going to be knocked out again. I really like seeing her more active and more like herself.

Oh, so this is what growing up is! Well. I have 24 more days of my reckless 30s to enjoy. Then I guess it's time to take my emotions and my hormones by the hand and... and... and do what? Enjoy my responsibilites? Buy a minivan (I kid. I'm a kidder)?

This could be another reason I'm not sleeping.

Wish me luck today, I'm probably going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment