Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Nosy me

Last Thursday, my boss asked me to do downtown and review an employee's personnel file. This employee is transferring to our office, and someone is required to review their file before they come. I guess so that the department they're coming to can't claim that they didn't know about the employee's (whatever) problem: no surprises. This was the first time I've done this, so I was a little nervous (I get a little nervous the first time I do anything. Sometimes the second and third times, too. Yep. Now you know), but it turns out that the HR manager of the department I went to is the woman who hired me into the County 12 years ago. I met with her secretary, but she came out to say hello and give me a hug. This woman was hard to work for but I learned a lot from her, and I appreciate those lessons. It was really nice to see her. And, the secretary she has now is nothing like (nerdy) me: that woman was stylish! I thought that was a little funny, actually.

Anyway, obviously I'm not going to write about what I found out about this employee. Actually, it was really interesting because this person has been with the county for a very long time, and is someone with a lot of experience and accolades, and I enjoyed reading the file. I felt like I learned a lot. We're quite lucky to be getting this person.

After I reviewed the file, I called my boss to tell her what I had found: nothing that would prevent them from coming. My boss actually knows the person, so what I had to tell her she probably already knew - I surprised myself, though, because from the notes I took, I was able to summarize my impressions of the person much more succinctly than I'm saying anything today.

There's no point to this post, so you can stop reading now.

No comments:

Post a Comment