Thursday, September 25, 2008

There's madness to our magic

One day I was flipping around on the Internet, and I found somebody's blog where all the posts were entries people had written in the guy's yearbooks. He was my age and pathetic, obviously. And - he gave me an idea.

I think I'm going to start doing the same thing, but instead of doing it all the time to the exclusion of writing about other things, it's just going to be one entry, once in awhile.

Today we inaugurate... "Yearbook Thursday."*

Today's entry is from my 10th grade yearbook. It was 1988. I have no idea why the theme of the yearbook was "There's Magic to Our Madness." If I really cared I would scan the cover but I'm not feeling that inspired by this feature yet. Maybe future posts will include a photo of the cover of the yearbook.

Anyway, here's what my friend Sean wrote. Sean as in "daydreaming in AP World History drawing pictures of the back of Sean's head" Sean. Yes. He was (is) real.

Irene,

Hey beautiful! I'm glad to know you, I'll miss you, school was hell, etc., etc., & other boring yearbook stuff. Now for something real... You're a wonderful person with a lot to say. I've learned from you and I've enjoyed learning. I'll miss you. When I get my license I'll visit you. But until then we can still go see a movie or something. Call me, we'll set it up.

Sean

That's pretty slick for a kid who couldn't drive. Under his name he wrote his phone number. I never called him. It would've been fun to hang out with Sean; what a dork I was. To be honest, I doubt very much that I really read what he wrote, which is surprisingly sweet. I had no idea he was so nice. Yearbook bullshit, maybe (as he notes. He was a smart one, that Sean. Mentioning yearbook bullshit while writing yearbook bullshit - that's talented. And maybe he meant it, which takes it all up a level. God. What little geniuses we were).

*Not to be confused with "Yearbook Tuesday," or "Yearbook Wednesday." I'm on my own schedule, not yours. Oh, and don't lie: you know when you read that you were all, "Wow, what an ingenious and brilliant title!"

No comments:

Post a Comment