Sunday, January 11, 2009

Is this code for something?

Last night was the first performance of The Bourgeois Gentilhomme at City Garage since before the holidays. The night started out kind of stressful for me, though, because I left a bit later than I usually do and then there was some traffic. Parking in Santa Monica was rough, so I finally made up my mind to pay $7 (highway fucking robbery, but I was late, and the lot is close to the theater) and pulled into the lot (that used to be free, mind you) and went to turn off my car, and lo and behold, my car turned off, but my keys would not come out of the ignition.

This has happened a couple of times in the past, but in those instances, turning the car back on and straightening out the steering wheel a few times solved the problem. I sort of thought it was a fluke. Last night it would not come out. That lot was kind of busy with a lot of cars pulling in and out and people walking around, and after my attempts at backing up and pulling in again didn't work, I decided I had to just leave, and drove a few blocks further away, where I knew I could get street parking. I pulled into a space there, and turned my car off again, and NO KEY. Now I have 10 minutes to get to the theater for the pre-show, and I'm a little panicked. I do not like being late to the theater. I get a little stressed out about it. So I sit in my car for awhile, and check the manual (nothing), and I called the Honda dealer, and they suggested all the things I had tried already (including asking me if the car was in Park... No, I'm an idiot; of course it was in Park: my daddy didn't raise a dummy)... now, it's like 7:40, and I decide I'm just going to have to go back to the lot where it was $7 and leave my car with that guy, with the keys in it. So I go back over there, and he's got spaces, but he leaves at 10, and my show usually goes until 10:15. Meaning my car would be there with the key in it and no supervision. But I can think of nothing else, so I do it. Then, as I'm turning off the car, the key pops out and the guy, who I had just asked to watch my car, is standing there, probably thinking I'm a total goofball.

I ran to the theater, where Paul had thankfully started the pre-show music, and I got ready to go. I was there at 10 minutes to showtime. Then, I found out that the house was sold out (awesome!). It was a good show, a great audience, but man, that key thing has me stumped. I've been checking out online forums and they all suggest the same things (though one says to move the shifter, which I didn't think to try). Luckily I have a second key, I think I'm going to take that one with me tonight so at least if they key won't come out, I can lock the car with the other key and feel safe leaving it (unless someone sees it and decided to break a window). Next week I'll take it in to Honda and see what they say.

This was a fast weekend. I guess because Friday I felt like crap (no pun intended). Yesterday was a little rough, too, but I did get to go out and do stuff. I went to the library, the gym, and the theater. Now I guess I'll do some laundry and get ready for the show tonight at City Garage. You have a few more weeks left to see The Bourgeois Gentilhomme - Saturday and Sunday night only, closes February 22.

...

Yesterday I got a voicemail message from a friend, and he goes, after telling me whatever it was he needed to tell me (oh, yes, that he would be able to cat-sit when Patrick and I go to Portland in March), he goes, "I had something else to tell you... but I forgot."

Is this code for something? I mean, I know what I mean when I say it, but do other people think about it that much? I haven't talked to him yet since his voicemail and it might be awhile before we actually speak to each other - so I have some time to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment