Saturday, January 3, 2009

Saturday in the city

Patrick and I decided to go out and do something today. We considered going down and checking out the Rose Parade floats, or the outlet stores, but in the end, we decided to go to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, and it was a great day out. LACMA has a ton of art, and I think, while we certainly didn't see it all, we did see quite a bit of it.

Anyway,we walked through Richard Serra's "Band" and "Sequence," which was... interesting, and later, in the Contemporary collection, we saw a bunch of drawings by this guy I'd never heard of, Lee Mullican, and I really liked him. A couple of weeks ago we saw a TV special on Jeff Koons and his big blue balloon dog; seeing it in person was surprisingly exciting. We also saw the Native American art, a whole bunch of amazing European art (I really liked "The Death of Lucretia, " by Ludovico Mazzanti), and just more stuff than I could really process. It's overwhelming, all the stuff there.

Oh, and I also liked the Bateman Mercury. That room was astonishgly empty, and we had it to ourselves for at least 20 minutes. It's a shame, really, because there was a lot of cool stuff over there.

Also at LACMA is an exhibit of Vanity Fair magazine photos, and while, sure, it's kind of interesting to see all the famous photos (Gertrude Stein, Matt Damon, Prince William... ? Keira Knightly?), and the photography itself is gorgeous... I was a little confused when we realized that this was the most heavily populated place in the whole museum.

A room full of Picassos upstairs, and everybody's looking at George Clooney?

Afterwards, we went to Pearl Art Supply so Patrick could check out something, and then we went to the Santa Monica Library, so that I could return a particularly overdue, overdue library book. By this time we were pretty hungry.. and so we decided to go to La Cabana - I haven't been there in a really long time, and the last time I went, I was a little disappointed, but this time it was all fine. Food, service, everything.

But the best part of the day occurred when we were in the car, getting ready to leave the museum. I had started the car, and was heading up the ramp to the ticket booth, and I said the following words, words that I don't make it a habit of saying:

"Boy are my dogs tired."

Please. Tell me when the last time you heard me make this cornball statement. Patrick started laughing, and said, "Oh my god I was about to ask you that exact question." I was confused, so I said, "What question?" He said, "I was going to ask you if your dogs are tired!"

It's silly, and a little thing, but a nice reminder of how much goofy fun we have together. We're not perfect, we occasionally do and say things sometimes that are pretty inconsiderate, but I love these little funny things when they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment