Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday's goings-on

My friend Andrea and I were going to have lunch together today, but she had to cancel on me. I'm sure she had a perfectly good reason. Andrea and I have known each other for awhile now, having worked in the same chaotic department together. She's still there, and her emails to me about her work environement keep me entertained. Her friendship and emails are what keep me from going totally crazy during the work week. Also, she's one smart cookie.

Anyway, this morning we were emailing back and forth during the hour or so of free time I had before I wanted to play with the Wii Fit and get ready for my facial, and she was sharing with me some details about a remodel that's going on of her workspace.

This remodel is the reason I wanted to get out of that department, since I worked for the manager in charge of the area, and based on the way most things went while I was working for her, I was terrified of the mess I knew it would be. They just started the demolition this week and Andrea has been filling me in on the ghastly details.

My old boss was the one who was supposedly setting up all the details, and I remember being involved in the planning part, too, but one annoying trait of my old boss is her misguided notion that her ability to think on her feet and make decisions "on the fly" is what makes her a great manager. In truth, this "ability" is what makes her the whirling center of chaos from which all other chaos spawns, and she expects her underlings to make decisions, even though the underlings know full well that she is apt to change everything just because she can. She has made changes and changes to the plans since the planning process began, over six months ago, and the outcome is that there is now no designated space for my friend Andrea, her boss, or her co-workers.

You'd think that in six months someone might've noticed this but-no. Now they seem to be crying "there's just no space!" which is incredible to me, because there's space now. How can a remodel of an area that already accommodates the right amount of people suddenly eliminate space that already exists?

To add even more fun to the whole thing, there's also an asbestos scare (false, as it turns out). As an innocent bystander, this is all amusing and diverting and fun to think about. I am so glad I don't have to deal with it from the inside!

After discussing this in humorous detail, and playing (I can't bring myself to say "working out") with the Wii, I got ready for my facial. I haven't had one in awhile, and it was totally wonderful, relaxing, and worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment