Saturday, May 8, 2010

Paula Poundstone Blows Minds

A couple of weeks ago, I accompanied Patrick to a breakfast that was held by his work for all the librarians and staff (Patrick's not a librarian, but he works with librarians. Some of my favorite people in the whole world are librarians). This is an annual event, and they sometimes get some really interesting people to speak (I've seen Arianna Huffington and S.E. Hinton. Last year's speaker was Whitley Streiber, but I didn't go to that one. Mr. Streiber writes those horror novels with the creepy alien faces on the covers. I understand Mr. Streiber discussed "anal probes." That must've been one very interesting breakfast!).

This year's guest was Paula Poundstone.

We love Paula Poundstone.

I sat with Patrick and his boss, a very cool man who specializes in the snarky comment. After we served ourselves breakfast, a short while later, they brought out Paula.

The third or fourth word out of Paula Poundstone's mouth was "fuck." I think she blew the minds of about 250 librarians and library staff. Then they were all laughing too hard to notice.

Photo by Patrick Palma, using his Blackberry's crappy camera. I wish I could say that I made Paula make a funny face, but our interaction was pretty straightforward:

Irene: We love you!
Paula: What do you do for the library?
Irene: Oh, my husband works here, I'm just a guest.
Paula: OK, thanks for coming.

I'd crop myself out of this photo (like my chia pet hairdo?) but then you wouldn't believe me that we met, would you.

No comments:

Post a Comment