Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Bookshelf Revealed

I was not tagged, but am instead stealing this idea from yet another blog I read (click on the title to check out Maureen McGowan: she's pretty cool, and recently wrote about Stephen King's book on writing, which I read while supposedly working the register at Rizzoli [sorry, David, but you knew I was reading. I mean, seriously, can't hide it now], and also loved. He's a good teacher, that Stephen King):

"The rules are to provide a list of books that you have on your shelves to see if anyone can learn about you from them - but not just any books. They have to be books that you've actually paid for, nothing given, borrowed, stolen, or whatever."

Okay, then, here goes. No idea what you might learn about me from this list, but these are the books that meet the above requirements and are on the bookshelf and the floor in the bedroom, where I do most of my, er, reading (and yes, I have read all these books since we installed that shelf, about six months ago. Granted, most of them are re-reads, but the rules did not stipulate if re-reads were acceptable or not; therefore, I include them):

  1. Mutiny on the Globe, by Thomas Farel Heffernan
  2. All the President's Men, by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein
  3. Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen
  4. Anne of Windy Poplars, by L.M. Montgomery
  5. Meet the Austins, by Madeline L'Engle
  6. The Executioner's Song, by Norman Mailer
  7. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, by Robert Heinlein
  8. Persuasion, by Jane Austen
  9. The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, by Michael Chabon
  10. Hey Nostradamus!, by Douglas Coupland
  11. The Black Dahlia, by James Ellroy (piece of shit book, and shittier movie, by the way)
  12. A Spot of Bother, by Mark Haddon
  13. The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein
  14. A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving
  15. Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brien
  16. Goodbye, Columbus, by Philip Roth
  17. The Human Stain, by Philip Roth
  18. The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman
  19. Emma, by Jane Austen
  20. Breakfast of Champions, by Kurt Vonnegut

"The Nazi Seizure of Power" isn't up there because I borrowed it from City Garage. I am, to all intents and purposes, still reading it. And yes, that was an AP History quote straight out of 1988. Thank you for noticing. See? Maybe I was awake after all. There would be newer titles up there, but all the new books I have were gifts from Patrick, and therefore, cannot be counted. Oh, well. I finished Harry Potter in Catalina, and haven't yet unpacked it, which explains why it's not the shelf; also, it was a gift from Bo, which explains why it's not on the list.)

And now? I tag Julie, and Paul. On your marks, get set, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment