Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Noisettes - Updated

OK, so when you consider that A) I like very few bands with female singers, and B) I just heard this song five minutes ago, I think it's pretty incredible how terrific this band is (does this sentence even make sense? I'm struggling, tonight). I have a new favorite song, "Scratch Your Name," by Noisettes. Pretty darned cool. Check out this stuff at FM 94.9. I'm just gonna ignore the fact that they're also recommending Sting's kid's band "Fiction Plane," which I advise you to do, as well. I mean, come on. Seriously. Fiction Plane? No.

I have to go to Borders later anyway for something else, I may have to pick up this album ("What's the Time Mr. Wolf?") while I'm out there. It's not the first time I've bought a CD based on one song... but somehow I have a feeling I will not be disappointed (I've had that feeling before, too, but Hope Springs Eternal, right? I mean things don't get to be cliches without some glimmer of truth, right?).

In other music news (?), I guess it's come to everyone's attention that the Smashing Pumpkins have a new album out? And I just want to get right in the fray here and say that I don't care. There was a point in time when I did care - and then that point in time came to an end, as does everything, I guess. I got to that point with the Smashing Pumpkins a long time ago that I'm at now with the White Stripes: sometime in 1994, I became bored with their schtick. It doesn't mean it's not a good schtick, it just means it no longer is retaining my attention. Also, I don't know, there was a Fleetwood Mac cover somewhere in there that they did that just didn't fly with me for some reason. So there you have it, my extremely opinionated, non-factual, anti-review of an album that I've only heard one song from... Yes, that's how things work around here. Welcome!

...

OK, so Borders didn't have the album I wanted (they did, however, have the other thing I went for [it's for somebody else who on occasion reads this blog], a new book I wasn't looking for by Michael Chabon, a Modern Drummer and a computer book for Patrick... and $122 later... we had to go to Fingerprints for Noisettes album, which is funny, because we were just there yesterday, to buy Blood Brothers for Patrick. And it was only $9.99, which is just crazy-cheap. I got a tiny bit panicky when I couldn't find it on the shelf, but then the dude working there went to the super-secret location they had it filed, and pulled it for me. We listened to the first three tracks on the way home, and boy am I in love. I repeat: totally cool.

...

Oh, and here's something else I'm thinking about (stolen from Wikipedia):

Stewart Copeland [his birthday is rapidly approaching], best known as drummer for The Police, says in the commentary track to the DVD version of his documentary film "Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out" that he had to overlay a music soundtrack and use the image only in one shot where "Happy Birthday" was being sung in the original footage, because the rights to the song are "incredibly expensive".

I think my next cat's name will be "Armstrong."

No comments:

Post a Comment