Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ask Paul: "Doctor My Eyes!"

Pauly,

I'm sure that despite evidence to the contrary, I do know what I'm talking about (keep reading, I'm getting ahead of myself)... and I'm also sure you're much too busy to answer such a silly question as this (one to which I'm practically positive I already know the answer to, did I mention that already?), but...

People who have their Ph.D., in addition to being workaholics and showoffs, should always be addressed as "Doctor," no? Frankly, thinking about this is giving me an excuse to put off writing this stupid letter my stupid co-worker asked me to write ("because you're so good at it!"), so that she didn't have to. (Truth is, even if she did write it, I'd have to re-write it anyway -boy I'm in a bad mood today.)

Pauly's response:

I think the Ph.D. question can be a real can of worms. After someone refers to a non-M.D. person as "Dr. So & So," there will often be a person in the room who will respond, "Yeah, but he's not a real doctor." (Assuming the Ph.D. in question is not also in the room, in which case that would be just plain mean and rude). As with any social situation where sensitivity is called for, I generally try to take my cues from the person holding the degree. Do they refer to themselves as "Dr." or do other people who know them better do so? What does their letterhead say? Professionally, there's nothing wrong with erring on the side of professional courtesy. If the individual doesn't like/use "Dr." they'll probably tell you.

Having put all that out there, I'll also point out that the guy saying "Yeah, but he's not a real doctor" is often me.

...

And with that final sentence, Paul, you have unmasked yourself at last: the Peanut Gallery has finally been identified!

Something for us both to think about: Joseph Goebbels was also a Ph.D. Remember him as the man who, among all his other terrifying accomplishments, talked his wife into murdering their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment