Sunday, September 13, 2009

Awake again at 3:30 a.m.

Sleep has not been easy for me lately. My mom, the insomniac, has something to help her. I do too, but my mom's is a bit stronger, understandably!

This has been an up and down week. I didn't go over to my parents' house yesterday, and I won't go again until tomorrow, when I get up super early to meet them in the morning to go to meet the radiation oncologist. I spoke to my mom and my sister on the telephone though, and I think she had a nice Saturday. Today she has visitors coming: her sister and her sister's daughter. She likes having people come see her. My dad does, too.

One thing about this that's sweet is seeing how lovely my dad and mom are together. But then it's so sad, because I guess they're both starting to realize that they won't have each other forever. Do you know what I mean? Thinking about that stuff makes me so sad for them, and for me.

They still don't know what actual treatment she will receive for her cancer because they just did the first CT scan Friday. She still needs a PET scan. I think this radiation is to discuss how they'll help alleviate the pain in her leg. Did you know radiation could do that? I didn't either. I don't think they're going to actually do the radiation on Monday. The bummer is we all have to go to Hollywood for some reason. Hopefully that will end up just being for the consultation and not the subsequent treatments.

I've been doing, I think, an OK job of keeping my happy face on around my mom and dad. I don't know if it's bad to admit that inside, I'm not having an easy time with this. I've been getting a lot of good advice, and I've been trying to think positively. Sometimes I succeed. It's hard. When I'm home, I've been listening to a lot of music and watching movies. Friday I watched "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (afterwards, Patrick and I drove to Ferris' house, which surprisingly, is in Long Beach). Yesterday I watched the first half of "The Commitments." What a great movie.

Today I'll call over there and see how everyone is doing, and Patrick is going to take me to the falafel place for lunch, and then Bo will pick me up to go to the theater. Last night's show was wonderful. Four curtain calls! Hopefully tonight's audience will enjoy the show as much.

We close next weekend, and though I know I need to have the time free to spend with my family, I love this show, and the cast. I'm going to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment