Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bike ride log

I had a minor mishap regarding the templates for two of my three blogs (this one, and the goofball Stewart Copeland one; the flute choir one was saved. Yes, I have since made copies of all the templates, thanks mom) this weekend, so I lost the bike ride log I had been keeping on the sidebar.

It's kind of okay, though, because according to that log, I hadn't ridden my bike since August 25!





Tonight I got on finally and went for a quickie ride around my neighborhood. I love riding at night - I feel like I'm flying! My neighborhood streets are pretty dark. I think I've mentioned that the two major streets have excellent bike lanes, though, and with my reflective tape-enhanced helmet, lights, and humongous green vest, I feel pretty well illuminated (my vest, I realized tonight, is, coincidentally, exactly the same shape as my mom's apron, which I wore yesterday while cooking spaghetti. Neither garment is exactly aerodynamic, but my mom and I have no need for aerodynamics. Not in the kitchen or on my bike am I going to set any speed records ["Woman Rides Bike Over 18 Miles An Hour In Loop Around Her Own Home!"] - 18 miles per hour being my top speed tonight, and that was only for a few seconds).

I did feel a tiny bit "racy" (adorable bike salesman Eric's term for "when you want to go fast") for a second, but that was, shall we say, temporary. Otherwise, according to my bike computer (note to self: try to buy an illuminated one next time) my average speed of 12.6, doesn't seem all that terrible. I was out for about 45 minutes, and nothing exciting or dangerous happened. I saw one other night rider on the last stretch of road, some dude wearing an orange vest but no helmet (well, at least the car that hits him and breaks his egg-head will see him), and passed him, but he hardly counts, because everyone knows helmets make you faster, man, didn't you know?

Now I'm going to go wash up, get ready for bed, and hopefully sleep until it's time to wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment