Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wednesday, news, random stuff

Well, so.

Yesterday my mom's radiation oncologists (she has 2) contacted us and informed us that they do not believe she would benefit from the radiation therapy we had discussed. Instead, they are referring her to a surgeon, who will hopefully just cut all that crap out/off/whatever and heal her.

Yes, I am tired of thinking about it in clinical/scientific terms. Just get rid of it! Is this not what modern medicine is for? It seems so simple.

If somebody said leeches could help I would hold the bloodletting bowl.

Perhaps reality will catch up with me (probably on Friday when we meet the surgeon), but I prefer to believe (for right now!) that this will be a good thing. And perhaps I will share more medically accurate facts later.

I think she had a good day yesterday. I went over there after work, after going to the market and picking up a few necessities for over there (fresh fruit, hand sanitizer, hard candies, etc.). And today and tomorrow: no doctor's appointments, so she is free to recline and relax and bask in the love of her friends who have been stopping by for short visits. I think today it was the two pastors from her church. Visiting last night, she was pretty sleepy. I rubbed her head for awhile, and like I would, she loved it. Head rubs are heaven for me and my mom. She was trying to stay awake for the Big Brother finale. My sister was hanging out in her room, watching TV, my dad had gone to lie down (everybody has been so tired), and I was sitting on the couch in the living room, my brother's dog Rocco on my lap (for once he wasn't barking his usual epithets at me) and my mom and dad's beautiful (but gassy) golden retriever on the floor at my feet. My mom was asleep. Before she fell asleep, she thought she might like to watch "The Biggest Loser," so she put the TV on that channel. I left it on, though I never watch that show. The house was pretty quiet. It was nice, sitting there. I wasn't doing anything. I wasn't alleviating anybody's cares or woes. It felt nice, though.

Hopefully tonight will feel the same.

I go again tomorrow, to hang out and maybe make dinner or help my brother with dinner, and then it's night one of the fall quarter of flute choir. I hope I can stay awake. Sleeping has been difficult lately, but on top of that, this week we've started getting calls at 1 in the morning from... a fax machine. And it doesn't just call once: it calls several times. Now why would a machine call me at 1 a.m.?

I have a feeling the answer to this question isn't as interesting as the question itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment