Monday, September 14, 2009

An update about my mom

Hi,

I wanted you to know that the cancer my mom had before (leiomyosarcoma, a soft-tissue cancer) has returned, this time in the bones of her leg. Today we went to meet the radiation oncologist who will be helping my mom with her radiation therapy. She will be having a planning session with the radiation oncologists on Thursday for the radiation therapy to help alleviate the pain she has in her leg, probably caused by the tumor. Her other oncologist has not decided yet if she will need chemotherapy or more radiation. She just had a CT scan and is scheduled for a PET scan soon.

The doctor spoke those words: "No cure." As you can imagine, this was very hard for us all to hear.

Last week, I met my mom's wonderful general practitioner, and she reminded us that though the news isn't good, that "no one knows when they're going to die." This is so true. We just have to face what's happening, do what we need to do and keep her safe, comfortable, and happy. My mom's faith and all the prayers and hope that have been coming our way are helping. Also, the love she has from my dad is so sweet and I know he lifts her up spiritually as well as physically. They are so special to each other. And I see especially how strong my sister is, and my brothers, who are doing all they can, too.

I thank you for keeping me, my mom, and my family in your thoughts and prayers,
Irene

No comments:

Post a Comment