Friday, September 7, 2007

I still haven't found what I'm looking for - UPDATED


Patrick and Chris are still working. I'm alone in the living room with the cats, watching, for the first time ever, U2's "Rattle and Hum," while Franny plays with my hair.

I wrote, "for the first time ever," which I really can't believe, but it's true. I was IN LOVE with U2 when this came out, and I don't know why I didn't watch it in 1988, but I didn't. I did have the soundtrack. On cassette. I went with my parents to visit some family friends of ours who live in Palm Springs; I remember riding in the back seat of their car, listening to this on my hand-me-down walkman, on both the ride to and from the desert, thinking, OK, this is the perfect music for this particular car ride. I didn't like everything... I'm not crazy about "Bullet the Blue Sky," or "Silver and Gold," and maybe their version of "All Along the Watchtower" is a bit cheesy (and way heavy on the bass line... a tiny bit repetitive), but I do love watching them play, and listening to them talk (so Irish! I wish I had a Guinness! Unfortunately I do not; a Fat Tire from Colorado will have to suffice).

Since I started writing this, things have moved along, and it's "Angel of Harlem." But so far my favorite part has to be the choir doing "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," which, before they did it, the Edge explained had been written as a gospel song. Of course it was a gospel song. And normally, I don't know, normally I'm not sure if I'd be down with that.

Tonight, however, this version made the hair on the back of my neck and my arms stand up. Just: beautiful. I love how the band stops playing and lets the choir take over...

Now I know it's probably silly of me to say this, but even though I know Bono, as the front man, probably is the one I'm supposed to have been in love with, or, knowing my penchant for drummers, you might think Larry would be my guy (though, he seems to have a funny personality, which counts for much), but I have to say, the Edge, even with his silly hats and suspenders, even with that huge foxtail ponytail, even in black and white, has got some seriously beautiful eyes.

Burned by the fire of love, indeed.

...

This live version of "Bad" is pretty damn good, too. Watching the Edge shake his butt in front of the drum stand? Not hurting anything, either.

I'm just waiting for Bono to sigh out, "America..." It's gonna happen, you know it is.

...

Update added Saturday, September 8 @ 4:40 p.m.

I have become a re-believer in the U2 schtick that I once loved but had renounced for oh so long. I have seen the light, thanks to David (the Edge = dreamy), Paul (Starring Bono as Jesus!), Adam, and St. Larry. Hey guys! I'm back!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Irene,

    I'm a big U2 fan too. I fell in love with them when I bought "War" and "Unforgettable Fire" [on cassettes!]. I covered 13 of their songs on my album The Marcus Satellite Tribute To U2, on iTunes. I tried to capture those feelings I had when I heard their songs for the first time.

    Enjoy!
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete