Sunday, September 9, 2007

LA County Fair

Patrick and I spent the day at the fair today. Since I had to sleep in (had to. I had to) we didn't get moving until about 11:30, but it turns out that six hours (oh, maybe seven) is just the right amount of time to spend at the fair. I was really, really tempted to try a deep-fried Twinkie (one regular Twinkie = 3 Weight Watcher points; deep fried Twinkie, well, who the fuck cares), but we ran out of money. And we ate a ton of other food.

Two highlights:

I placed my first bet on a horse race. I decided to try for the trifecta, and picked three horses after reading about them in a racing form that someone left. I picked them based on a little research (they give the horse's last performance stats) and, I'll admit, because I liked the names. My horses were "Velvet Moonlight," "I Can See," and "Debie Ginsburg."

I placed a $6 bet - I decided to go big. All this was actually quite exciting - I had no idea what to expect. Two of my horses came in - "Velvet Moonlight" and "Debie Ginsburg." "I Can See" was nowhere near being in the top three - instead, "Quiet Kim" came in number 1. Oh, well. So close! We weren't sure, but we think that if I had gotten all three that I would've won $250.

That $250 would've come in handy for paying my speeding ticket. Oh, well.

The other highlight was, I joined all the little kids and went into the petting zoo. I wanted to, but then I got weird about being the only adult without a kid; Patrick kind of forced me to do it because he knew I really wanted to. We spent a good part of the day checking out the animals, but the LA County Fair doesn't give you the same kind of access the Orange County Fair did - which makes sense, because it's a way bigger enterprise.

It was awesome. I think I spent a good 30, 40 minutes, petting each and every goat (there were about three different types of goats [beats me what kind they were; I'm just going by the different types of coats they had]), the baby pigs, the kangaroo (they had a kangaroo!), the deer, and the sheep. No lambs, unfortunately. I stayed away from the llama, he looked nice but kinda pushy. They also had a couple of chickens, but I ask you, who the fuck wants to pet a chicken? They were cute, but still. (Oh, god, I just had a flashback to that disgusting scene in that horrible movie, Pink Flamingos, which I wish to god with all my heart that I had never, ever, seen. Happy thoughts, think happy thoughts.)

Anyway, it was a good day. Now all I have to do is take a shower, get ready for work tomorrow, and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment