Monday, April 20, 2009

Sentencing, and, my iPod is trying to kill me

I found out this morning that on Friday, the defendant (is it necessary for me to continue to call him "the defendant"? We found the guy guilty of murder. Is it not appropriate to refer to him as "the murderer"? Or "the convicted murderer"?) in the case that I was a juror on received his sentencing:

52 years to life, not eligible for parole until 2060.

That's a really long time. I hope that while in prison he learns something about himself, but who knows.

I also found out that he had no family in the courtroom during the sentencing. Not surprising, and I'm not sorry for him, and maybe it's what he deserves, but still: that's sad. A couple of people from the victim's family were in the courtroom for the sentencing. I wonder how they felt? The murder was 8 years ago. How would I feel? Stunned, I guess.

...

Weekend recap:

On Friday, I drove down to Culver City and played flute quartets with Patty, Tim and Judy. I had a fun time, and it was a good opportunity to play my flute since the flute choir concert several weeks ago. Perhaps not fair to them to have waited that long, but it was fine. Afterwards, I tested out the GPS thing my dad has loaned me to get myself home. Traffic was bad at that time of day (I left Culver City at 4:30) so I got off the freeway at, I think, Crenshaw. GPS lady had me home... in an hour. About the same amount of time it would've taken on the 405, I think, but I did get to see how the cities of Carson and Long Beach merge way up there at Long Beach Boulevard.

Yes, I am trying to put a positive spin on this story.

When I got home at 5:30, Patrick informed me that he wanted to go to the movies. I didn't have to be at the theater Friday, so we were FREE. He wanted to see "Anvil! The Story of Anvil." I'd heard a few positive reviews, so I was up for it. I'm glad we went - what a great movie! Part Spinal Tap, part "Pride and Prejudice" (not really, though I suppose if I took the time to examine both stories I would find similarities!), it was a very sweet movie. Steve "Lips" Kudlow is my new hero.

On Saturday, we took Patrick's mom to Catalina for a wedding (her great-niece, I guess?). We haven't been back since our trip with Chris and Monica early last year, and it was a beautiful day to go to Catalina. Adeline enjoyed seeing her sister and family, and we got a nice day out. We didn't stay overnight, so it was a tiny bit rushed toward the end, but don't worry - though we thought we might not get dinner, we did indeed eat well. And the open bar was nice, too (note to self: gin & tonic good; gin & tonic followed by vodka tonic? bad).

Sunday we drove back down to Culver City for lunch with my parents, who haven't seen us in weeks and were probably wondering if we were alive. We were. Then off to the theater for a performance of "The School For Wives," a quiet ride home with Bo, and to bed. Sunday was the hottest day of the year so far, and so I had a hard time sleeping. I came this close to getting up and going into the living room to watch TV, but I decided to stay in bed and toss and turn instead. I'm sure Patrick was pleased with that decision.

In other news I am trying to not allow my iPod to be my life's soundtrack. I think it might be trying to kill me. All by itself, it has decided to play only songs about disappointment and thwarted love, and you know what? Dear friends, these topics do not apply. Or, I won't let them. I'll be making an adjustment or setting up some new happy playlists soon. (I'm pretty sure no one is breaking up with me. Or if so, I'm not aware of it). Stay tuned.

Examples (heard today while at lunch, in opposite order for no reason):

I need some more music. Or a better theme. Definitely a better theme. On Friday night after the movie, Patrick had me listening to Corrosion of Conformity, and was surprised to find that I liked it (it must've been the influence of "Anvil"). I have some of their music to upload to my iPod, and I think that's just what the doctor ordered: some nice hardcore metal. Or I could start with their early albums and go all out punk/thrash...

No comments:

Post a Comment