Sunday, August 9, 2009

At The Airliner (in Lincoln Heights)

(Commentary added Monday morning)

After the show last night (which was excellent!), and after dropping off Bo, I went to see Patrick's band last night at The Airliner in Lincoln Heights, which turned out to be surprisingly close to my work. If I had known, a change of clothes and one of those Crest toothbrush things that don't require water after a night's rest in the car might've been a good idea. It wasn't super late when we got home, but the alarm went off awfully early this morning. I'm getting too old to go out on Sunday nights, I guess, or 5 a.m. is just too damn early to have to get up. And wow, it seemed really dark out this morning.

Anyway, The Airliner was pretty cool - a friend from high school who I have reconnected with on Facebook and have not seem for 20 years was there (turns out it's somewhat of his local bar, if I heard him right), and he said that usually the bands playing there are hip hop bands. It was a cool place: clean bathroom, nice people. They sell food, too, which is always nice. For some reason I wasn't that hungry yesterday so I didn't drink very much (I had one very tasty Newcastle, and considered a second but didn't go for it). I didn't eat but the man sitting next to me at the bar while we watched the band had a basket of fries that smelled heavenly.

It was my first time seeing Melic Sub Rosa live, and I liked it. I always get a thrill seeing Patrick play drums (you can see him too if you click on the link to the right that says "Melic Sub Rosa" - no video from last night's gig but there are others) and yeah, that might be related to my weird fetish about drummers in general... but I know for a fact that I am not alone in this about him in particular. The space they played in was small, and we were right in front of the action, so things were exciting, and good and loud, just like I like it.

I have some blurry, no-flash photos to upload later, so I'll add those tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment