Saturday, August 8, 2009

Weekend college

I'm not sure if I've posted anything here about this already? Well I'll pretend I haven't, and that you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Today I went to an information session at Mount St. Mary's College for their Weekend College Program. I've been curious about it for awhile. I learned that the Weekend College program is the exact same curriculum and teachers as for the "regular" college students, but classes take place on the weekend (duh, hence the name) for working adults. There are six weekends each semester (non-consecutive), and you attend class pretty much all day (from 8 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.). You can take 1, 2, or 3 classes. Obviously depending on the number of classes you take, it will determine the length of your day at school. And depending on how many classes you take, it will determine how long it will take you to graduate, which you will do with the "regular" college students.

The advice was for new students to start with just two classes at a time, but my thought was, damn, one class would be a better idea for me.

Of course, you get a Financial Adviser and an Academic Adviser, and I plan on really utilizing them, if I decide to go. I always felt like the amount of guidance provided at SMC or West LA or even in high school was always much, much less than what I needed for inspiration or information.

I got kind of cautiously excited about this. The people I met today from the school were great. Lots of energy, friendly, and people who went through the program themselves. They offer a few majors that interest me (Liberal Arts, English, Business Administration with English). The presentation and the presenters were warm, and inviting. The campus is gorgeous, and not too far away (Weekend College classes take place downtown, at the Doheny Campus). All students at Mount St. Mary's are required to take 4 religion or philosophy courses and that didn't bother me, surprisingly.

It's kind of expensive but there is financial aid, and of course, loans. We're not exactly poor. Even though the classes themselves are on the weekends, there is a big time commitment to doing assignments and homework during the off time.

So. I'm curious. I know that it would probably be safer to take a course at a community college first to see how I feel about being back in school. I'm pretty sure that the way I will feel about being back in school will be "anxious." Possibly "freaked out," as well.

So I don't know what I'm going to do. I definitely am going to wait until the Spring semester (the fall semester starts much too soon) to make a decision. I told Patrick a little bit about what went on and what it looked like there but didn't want to talk about how I felt about it. I don't know.

I'm not good at making this type of decision. However, I am good at sitting around, doing nothing. I'm really good at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment