Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Malaria bike ride 1.0

("1.0" because I suspect this won't be the last.)

Tonight I got home from work at 6:30, and the temperature outside was still 82 degrees. I suppose this indicated it was cooling, as the high today in LB was 88 (now, 2 hours later, it's cooled to a balmy 78. Have I misused the word "balmy"? I don't think so), but while my desire to ride was high, I also wasn't thrilled with the heat.

I sat around for 10 minutes debating whether or not to go, and meanwhile, the clock was ticking (I didn't want to be out too long after dark; Patrick's not home tonight and nobody would really know where I was). So I started changing my clothes and thinking about it. I filled up my water bottle. I put on my shoes (Converse today, and they might be the best shoes, ever). Meanwhile, it didn't cool off, so I decided to just go.

Another not 100 per cent (spelled out because the 5 key is acting up) entirely successful ride, but fun anyway. I guess my biggest complaint was the bugs. I suppose that riding in a river bed, man-made or not (is it? it's mostly cement but I have no idea if this was a natural waterway diverted and perverted by man), it would be common sense to think that you're going to find bugs there.

Common sense, sure, but annoying as all get out, yes. I started coughing before I realized that what was stuck in my throat was indeed a mosquito. At one point I looked down and my shirt and thighs were covered with them. It was gross.

Look, I'm not a "girlie" girl, but I'm not real fond of bugs in my mouth, either.

Anyway, that was on the way home. The other big deal today was the pain in my back, which wasn't debilitating, but also annoying. I felt better when I got home, so I don't know, maybe I was dehydrated or something. I wasn't out very long but it was hot, and I was sweating, so I guess that could be it?

I'm glad I went, anyway. Next time I go for a ride I'll get Patrick to take a shot of me cruising down the street. It's kind of hard to do a self-portrait on a bike.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Bike rides can be daunting at first, but the second you get on to that saddle you forget everything else.

    ReplyDelete