Saturday, August 1, 2009

Saturday bike ride, Umma Gumma, lunch

Not a whole lot to report today... just hanging out right now. Patrick left early this morning to go out to his family's property in Acton with his brother to water and do some brotherly bonding. After he left, I got up and went for a 20 mile bike ride. I got out on the road around 7:15 a.m. Interestingly, it wasn't as joyous an occasion as my previous rides. I'm not sure what the deal was... I only rode one other time this week? It was too early (I'm not really a morning person)? Instead of "Ride Like the Wind," for some reason I couldn't get another stupid song out of my head (The Eagles, "Take It Easy")?

I did have a little fun, I'm just saying I didn't experience the usual euphoric sense of freedom that comes from speeding along on my little bike. Oh, well, I'm sure it'll come back next time. I also only passed people of the usual description (old; walkers; baby carriage pushers, etc.): no breathtaking feats of speed today! I did the usual - when I was passed by a faster rider, I attempted to keep up. I had a little more success with that this time than last time (or maybe I picked a slower, faster rider?) because I kept up much longer, but I was a little self-conscious of my crazy-ass gasping breathing. I didn't want him to think I was breathing heavily in an attempt to, I don't know, turn him on or something.

The other thing is... my limbs are still getting numb. This has been going on since I first started riding again. I have fucked up joints, it's true (when it's particularly quiet in my office and I have to walk to the copier, I worry that my co-workers can hear my gimpy left hip popping; it's gross), and today I stretched and tried to make sure I was ready to go, but still. Not so much the legs, today it was the left arm that was bothering me. I thought maybe I slept funny on it, but I don't think so. I have an appointment with my doctor next week, and hopefully she'll recommend some kind of chiropractic (I go on my own but my insurance doesn't pay) or massage therapy? I could also benefit from some yoga, I know.

I also got some new bike pants. These are tight but not that icky bike short fabric. They're supportive, padded, and they come just below my knees. My flabby thighs are hidden. I thought I looked pretty good in them, my new gloves and my old Los Angeles Reader magazine t-shirt. Just the arm thing was a bummer.

On the way back, I got off the riverbed bike path and cruised a little through El Dorado park. So pretty! I saw a very cool duck (our conversation went like this: Me: "Hey duck!" Duck: "[ ]"), a super-cute dog, and and no place to sit down.

Well, I've been sitting here at the computer, listening to Pink Floyd's album "Umma Gumma" (weirdo stuff, it's good but a little foreboding) for about an hour (I've been updating the blog I made for Culver City Flute Choir, the group I'm in), and I need to shower and eat something before I get so hungry I forgo making something healthy-ish. I had a banana and some Gatorade before my ride, but it wasn't enough. I think next time I'll pack an energy bar or an apple or something.

Later I'll do some chores and pick up my dry cleaning, and then go get Bo for Saturday night's performance of "The Chairs." I love the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Which short/pants did you end up with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them at REI. They're Shebeest capris, and very comfortable. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete