Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Adventures in Big Girl Shoes



The other day I made a decision: I want to be the type of woman who can wear high heels.

Up until now, I've bought my share of flats or moderate heels - shoes that are comfortable, practical, easy to walk in. I do love shoes, and over the years I've figured out what type works for me. Considering that I am pigeon-toed, clumsy, near-sighted, prone to tripping, and possess lousy depth perception, I've done alright finding cute shoes that don't make me a hazard to myself or others.

I think I've mentioned in this space that I'm going to be going to the LA Weekly Theater Awards show this Monday. To be honest with you, I'm excited that City Garage has been nominated, and I know that we truly deserve to win, but my real excitement was having an excuse to get dressed up.

I'm naturally a jeans and flip-flops kind of girl. To work I wear khakis and one of my many black sweaters to work most of the time. I've never been a girly-girl, and I don't wear makeup, and I do like to have pretty hair but honestly, I don't care that much, and would rather sleep in than fuss with myself in the mornings. But now, at the ripe old age of 35, I've decided that the ability to walk in heels is a skill I want to have.

When I was invited to go with the City Garage people to the awards show, it got me to thinking. These people have mostly seen me bundled up to work the freezing cold light/sound booth, or in my comfortable clothes, or my "black" rehearsal clothes. When I did The Bacchae, I was a little body conscious in that crowd of gorgeous thin girls, and so I changed as quickly as possible backstage into my big t-shirts for rehearsals, or my "caftan" for performances. But for this event, I think it's going to be fun to be "dressed up." I asked my friend Sarah for some recommendations, and I checked with my friend Bo's wife, who will also be attending (she told me to wear a "cocktail" dress, which was pretty funny, when you consider my wardrobe! A cocktail dress in my closet would have no one to talk to), and I think I've bought something pretty, comfortable, and appropriate. Yesterday I got the shoes. Frederique, the director at City Garage, has inspired me. I've seen her wearing super-high heels and walking perfectly confidently. I think she's actually more comfortable in heels than flats!

I bought two pairs of shoes this week: one for the event, and one for work. The photo above is close to what I bought for the event. I couldn't find the exact ones online (I bought them at DSW). For one thing, mine are NOT patent leather! They look really cute on.

Today, I'm wearing a pair of those long pants, and the shoes I bought for work. I'm doing OK - my feet don't hurt, and I haven't tripped or fallen. They're pretty shoes, and the long pants keep me from feeling too exposed or stupid. I watched a video last week of some woman who was on Rachael Ray's show, showing the audience how to walk. Rachael Ray makes my eyes and ears bleed, and so even 5 minutes of her show was hell, but I did get a few tips from the guest. I've been conscious of my posture, and trying to keep my butt from sticking out!

Maybe I wish I'd learned these things 10, 15 years ago, but I'm having fun, now, anyway.