Friday, April 13, 2007

Weekly Recap

This was a week with a few peaks and valleys, albeit, mostly small ones, so I thought I'd sum it up for you on a day to day basis. For the hell of it.

On Monday, I went to the LA Weekly Awards. You can read my rather terse summary, here, in case you missed it the first time. No photos of me, but here's one my friend Nita took. It's technically a photo of my friend Ed, but if you look closely, that's me sitting next to him in the blue dress. I'm so glad I took the time to do my hair and stuff. You know, because so many people caught that on film.

Tuesday, not much happened. I know for sure that I got up and went to work. And then came home. I think I might've practiced my flute for all of 30 minutes. Other than that, it's a blur.

Wednesday was kind of a roller coaster. Well, maybe a kiddie roller coaster. On my way to work, I got a speeding ticket. What's dumb about it is, I saw the guy. It should've been no surprise to me that he would be there, because I see that stupid motorcycle cop on a regular basis. And did I slow down? No... He caught me on the street that my parking lot for work is on, and he regularly sits in the driveway of the County facility next door, waiting for (suckers) like me to speed by. That particular stretch of road changes from 40 MPH to 30 MPH right there, and if you're not careful... you will be caught. I will admit that I hoped he would see me pulling into a County facility and give me a break, but I see now that the City of Downey is not like the City of Lynwood ("corrupt"), and he followed me into the parking lot. It was embarrassing, and stupid, and I was pissed off, but whatever. If I can, I'll do online traffic school again, because the last time I got a ticket, instead of wasting away for 8 hours in some boring class, I got to lie on the couch and watch TV while doing traffic school, and I got to do it over, I think, a week. And I got to do it with a beer in my hand, which was definitely nice. Anyway, part of the problem might've been, I was listening to Incubus's song "Anna Molly" on the radio, and I was a bit distracted. I love that song, yet I hate loving it: liking Incubus might be my dirty little secret. I've gone to the store and looked at their album more than once, but I just can't bring myself to buy it. "Dig" is one of those songs, where, if Patrick were in the car with me, I would totally rag on it, but still totally love it. Don't ask me why I'm so defensive of my affection for these guys, I can't explain it. I think they're not good enough for me to like, yet I like them anyway.

I guess I'm a snob. Sorry, dudes.

Anyway, then later that day, at lunch, I went to my Weight Watchers meeting.

I will admit that I have been getting really frustrated. At the last few meetings, I've either lost 0 pounds (and just how is that possible?) or I've lost a marginal amount (.6). The big numbers weren't showing up, and even though I was following the rules and being good and goddamn it, walking, I wasn't seeing the results I wanted.

Anyway, guess what. This week? I lost 3.2 pounds! Leslie (our totally cool leader) was really enthusiastic and friendly (she's the best WW leader I've had so far), and the rest of the people were happy for me, too. I really like this group, they're really nice, and encouraging, and inspiring. Most of them have more weight to lose than I do, but everyone has lost a ton already, and they keep doing it. They are totally motivated, and it's good for me to see that.

So the day (Wednesday. We're on Wednesday. Could you please keep up?) got even better, because I got to leave work early to go to "an appointment." That's all I told my boss when I requested the time off.

What happened was, I got a massage.

I haven't had one in ages, and one day last year, after visiting my chiropractor's office a few times, he recommended a massage. I saw a few of the female massage therapists, and it was fine, but nothing special. Then one day, I lucked out and got scheduled with Bruce.

Bruce is an older guy, maybe in his 60s, and he is the coolest, best massage therapist, ever. This guy makes me feel so comfortable, so relaxed. He comes out to the waiting room to collect you, when it's time for your appointment, wearing no shoes, but socks (and pants and a shirt, if you're keeping track). I just love him. He collects didgeridoos and we've had some pretty interesting conversations about flutes. At first I was a little anxious about having a guy, but this guy is just really nice, and so good at his job. I love my appointments (I have another in 2 weeks!). So the day? Way better than when it began, until....

I heard on the radio that Kurt Vonnegut had died. Like most people, I read him in high school (he was recommended to me by Jay Schwartz, a very cool dude himself), but because I like to re-read things, have gone back and read him again since then. I probably don't have anything to say about reading him that hasn't been said by other people; I loved his books ("Cat's Cradle" is a favorite), and I loved the way he made me think about things, and I was really, really sad to hear about him dying. A guy once told me, after offering an unfiltered cigarette (back in the days when I still smoked), "Kurt Vonnegut smokes Pall Malls." If I ever were to write a song, I think I'd start with that line.

Anyway, I think it's time for me to re-read my favorite of his novels, "Cat's Cradle."

Thursday, I worked late to make up for leaving early on Wednesday (I have very little vacation or sick time, and need to stockpile for my vacation to Albuquerque in August), and ended up staying at work until 7:30. It was a long, long, day, and towards the end I was more than a little bleary eyed and confused. After work, Patrick and I went to Sam's Club, the gas station, and Old Navy, where I bought two t-shirts and some pants a size smaller than my normal size (woo wee!). Then we came home and for some reason stayed up until midnight watching the season finale of "Top Design" (Matt won, as I knew he would).

This morning, my alarm clock went nutty and went off 20 minutes early (well, it thought it was the right time... my alarm clock has been malfunctioning lately. Or I've been handling it improperly, which is more likely), so I thought it was 6:15 when it was really 5:45. Waking up 30 minutes early was a bummer. Also, Patrick was not pleased at being awakened earlier than usual (he doesn't have to get up until 6:45). I thought all that waking up early stuff would make me grumpy at work but it turned out to be the opposite. I had a nice day, and accomplished a lot of stuff, and made a few people laugh, which always makes me happy. On the way home, I stopped at LensCrafters and got my eyeglasses adjusted, and now? I'm home, writing to you.

Tomorrow we plan on FINALLY painting the bedroom. Tonight I plan on cleaning it out and doing some laundry, and watching TV and eating a WW friendly meal. I'm looking forward to having a night to just chill. As should all of you.

Enjoy your weekend.