Monday, April 23, 2007

Pandora Internet Radio + Lately, Weird Dreams, and, a Trip to the Record Store

I know I already blogged about this, but I just wanted to mention it again. Patrick and I are totally hooked on Pandora Internet Radio. It's gotta be the smartest thing I personally have found on the internet. It's a free, totally legal way to hear really good music on the internet, and you get to program it based on your own tastes and desires. It's like when you asked the cool kid (or a dorky kid's older brother) to make you a mix tape back in high school.

For instance, my station right now is XTC... I just started playing songs a few moments ago, and it started with a demo from their boxed set, "Apple Box," called "I'd Like That." I don't have this album, and so had never heard this song, and honestly, where else would I have heard it? Definitely not on LA radio! Pandora followed that up wtih "Mission of My Soul," by Peter Himmelman, who I'd never heard of. All this stuff tonight is fairly mellow, but these are good songs, and I'm happy. And if I need something a big more "beat-y," I can always switch to one of our other radio stations... I've just switched to my "At the Drive-In" station, and they're playing "Rascuache", a song I do know, and love. So? Happy on all counts is me.

...

Now on to topic no. 2. I don't know why I persist in writing about my dreams. They have been a tiny bit weird lately, but on closer inspection, I know that they're all just related to stuff I've been thinking about lately. Friday night I dreamed (I never know if "dreamt" is a real word. It looks fake to me) that I was at a dinner with the director of City Garage and her husband, and this flutist guy from Germany (flutist guy from Germany not based on anybody I really know). Frederique wanted us to play some music in another show she was doing... I guess she knew him, and he was a composer. I still wonder if I couldn't have come up with better stuff for my parts in "The Bacchae." I liked what I played, but none of it really felt like real music. I'm not a composer, but I wonder if it couldn've been better. Crazy, huh? I mean, the music was barely mentioned in any of the reviews, and never the quality of my playing or the actual notes. It would've been nice if that had been recognized. Anyway, see? Obviously that's why I had this particular dream. Anyway, German guy didn't want to play with me, maybe because he was/is/thought he was/is a better musician than I am. He also didn't want to play with an American because in his opinion, American musicians are "too emotional." For some reason, in the dream, I took a real strong position, and was really trying to convince him that's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't know if I'd really do that, esp. argue with someone I don't know, who may or may not be a better musician. It's doubtful that I would be as ballsy as I was in the dream. Especially in front of Frederique and Charles, who are great, but don't inspire me to be very outspoken.

I do like the way I was dressed in the dream - I had on this black dress over a purple tank top. I'd never wear it in real life but it was pretty.

Anyway, whatever. I know dreams are boring, and I'm not exactly describing this one very dynamically.

...

re: Record Stores

Sunday, we went to CPK for lunch (please don't tell me how many WW points the mushroom pizza is, because I ate the whole damn thing. I love that they offer honey wheat dough now, but I think I blew it on Sunday, big time), and afterwards, drove down to Fingerprints record store. It's a cool store, but you have to know this about me: I last about 20 minutes, tops, in record stores before I start getting really bored. I go in, and I try to remember everything I want, and then I look for those things, and then? If I find them I buy them. If I don't? I go home. I just can't stand around and browse through 1000s of used CDs, most of them misfield or upside down... I just can't do it.

Patrick can, though, and would, if I weren't standing around, trying not to ask, "are you done?" I hate to rush him, and I wish there was a bookstore or a shoe store nearby for me to browse while he does his thing. It must be the way he feels when I take him to the bookstore with me.