Tuesday, April 10, 2007

LA Weekly Awards


I survived my night out in heels.

It was a mostly fun night. I left LB at 4:30 so that I could get to Hollywood and meet the other City Garage-ers at 6:15. Traffic on the 5 freeway sucked, and it took about 2 hours to get there. I was fine, I just Walter Mitty'd my way through Boyle Heights. Once there, I stupidly paid $20 to park. Maybe if I'd been earlier, or with someone more adventurous, or wearing less high heels, I might've parked somewhere cheaper but I had $20, and I guess spending it on parking was better than spending it on booze.

I had to go to the Avalon, which, I'm told, was The Hollywood Palace in another lifetime. It's right across the street from the Capitol Records building, which was totally cool. The Avalon itself seemed a tad bit small for the event - according to the LA Weekly's own story, supposedly 700 people were crammed in, and for most of us, seating was either non-existent, or consisted of a flimsy cushion on a narrow banquette. "Cozy" is one way to describe it. "Fucking crowded" is another. Click here for the Weekly's own summary, and there are photos. I forgot my camera, so you'll just have to take my word for it: my friends were all got up in their 1940s era-clothes (David and Justin take the top honors - but then, I think they probably look the best in most outings they find themselves on. Max was also pretty sharp in his white zoot suit), and I thought we were a pretty good-looking group.

City Garage won one of the three categories they were nominated in (Production Design). Congratulations, City Garage! I'll work for free any day!

Wait a minute...

*Photo Credit: Paul M. Rubenstein

You may have noticed that I'm not in this photo. Well, it can't all be about me, now can it?

From left to right:

Jeff, Bo, Marie-Francoise, Justin, Nita, Ed, Alisha (or is that Alexandra? I get them confused), Crystal.

Beautiful, every simgle one of them.