Sunday, April 1, 2007

Byron Hoyt

I'm pretty sure this isn't a very timely post from me... but it was news to me to find out that Byron Hoyt, the huge music store in San Francisco, has closed. Not sure when it happened, but today is the day I found out about it.

Friday night at my flute lesson, we chose my next flute solo - I'm going to be playing "First Sonata for Flute and Piano," by Bohuslav Martinu. I'm excited about it, actually. New piece!

Anyway, this morning I sat down at my computer to look up the number for Byron Hoyt - they're the ones I've been buying music from for all this time, pretty much. I even got to go there, twice, and it was a pretty cool experience. Huge place, everything you could imagine. Anyway, most of my buying has been by phone, and they were always nice, helpful, and FAST.

But now they're closed.

So my next choice is Old Town Music, in Pasadena. I'm hoping they have the music in stock, and we can just go pick it up. It seems like a very nice day to drive to Pasadena.

I'm on hold now... they're looking.

Darn: they don't have it. OK, so my last choice is Flute World. They're an online place, so I usually deal with them when I go to the convention, but they're pretty fast, and reliable... Seems to me that their price is $2 more than I saw somewhere else online, but I'd rather go with someplace I know.

Unfortunately, I was up most of the night with a headache... I still have a tiny one, even now. I woke up at 2:30 and took some Tylenol... I don't usually get headaches like this. I feel a lot better though. I'm thinking it might be a reaction from when I ate yesterday...

We went to a barbecue in Lakewood for my Aunt Mary, at my cousin Mike's girlfriend's house. She lives about 5 minutes away from us, which was nice, for a change. My family is spread out, and usually we have to go to the valley or San Diego to see them. Anyway, I was good all morning, and just had carrots for breakfast, anticipating that I would be unable to resist hamburgers and hot dogs, food I haven't eaten in weeks. And I was right: I was unable to resist. Mike makes a hell of a burger. I was lucky though - they served carrot cake, which I don't like, so I was able to pass on that.

So I came home and calculated all the food I ate, and saw that I didn't do that badly: I went over my allotted points for the day, yes, but not by too much. I even counted that beer I drank! But maybe, in not eating that way for a while, I shocked my body or something, because at around 8:30, I had the worst headache, and I actually went to bed.