Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tuesday Night Stuff

Re: Weight Watchers:

I had a terrific week last week, but this week I've struggled. I'll admit it: I didn't write anything down and while I did sort of take the time to figure out what the points were of everything I put into my mouth (wait, what?) I wasn't exactly "scientific" about it. For instance... I've been walking up the street (good) to the Kaiser cafeteria, where I get a salad (good)... but then I pair that salad with a turkey burger (bad). A turkey burger = 5 points, and they don't, for some reason, have wheat buns, which disappoints me. And then instead of bringing my own low-fat salad dressing in my purse, which would be smart - I splurge on the 1,000 island dressing. Yes: a small amount, but it seems so damn decadent!

And then we'd better not even discuss tonight's dinner... Patrick went to Sam's Club and brought home some incredible sausages ("Hillshire Farm Old World Cheddarwurst") that he grilled... I also had grilled chicken breast and mushrooms, which are fine, and one of them before I checked the points (8. Not good)... and one more after. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

Anyway, this week I gotta be better. I just hope I didn't gain.

Tonight I said the words I regrettably don't say often enough:

(To Patrick) "There's nothing on TV!"

So what'd I do instead? I vacuumed with my new vacuum!

A few months ago I "donated" our old vacuum to City Garage... they needed one, and I hated ours, so it seemed like the perfect thing to do. Patrick wasn't super happy about it, though, and has been begging me to pick out a replacement. Since then we've been using my Christmas present hand-vac, which works great, but doing the whole house in that crouched position was not good for my back. Finally, this past weekend on a trip to Target, we got our new one.

Now see, I think maybe I was holding out because I thought I might be able to somehow talk myself into not feeling guilty about spending a crazy amount of money on this monster, but unfortunately, common sense prevailed (damn) and we bought, instead, this.

It was pretty cheap ($59), and man is it green - I'm happy with it.

See what happens when there's nothing on TV? I blog about my vacuum. And no, that's not a euphemism.

So here we go... I just sat down and switched on "Gilmore Girls." I watched about five minutes before switching the channel. Even the actors on the show don't seem to care anymore. Poor Lauren Graham, doing the same shit.

Now I'm watching "American Idol," and it's not my favorite show, I don't watch every week, I've seen a few episodes and have a favorite (Melinda), but just watched Jordin Sparks kill her song, and I mean that in a good way. She's a little out of control when she lets go, but damn, she's good. Unfortunately "Sanjaya" is up next, and I don't know. Do I stick around and watch? Do I change the station? I can't decide. I've seen him before and he's amazingly bad, and it seems kinda ridiculous that he's still around with the "real" singers... We'll see. It's still commercials, but I have the remote close at hand.

[Since I moved on to the next topic, Sanjaya has taken the AI stage, wearing an ENORMOUS red bandanna... now he's "breaking it down," "doing his thing," and boy, am I not impressed. He does sound better than I expected, but he's really not that good. And please know that I wrote that before Randy said the same exact thing.]

...

Work this week has been busy. Nothing new there... We're always busy. I have a new thing I've been doing... at my last job I was introduced to the art of maintaining a "tickler" file, and since I had pretty much nothing to do there, I had plenty of time to ponder how best to maintain order and productivity at work. Granted, at the last job, it was all theoretical (did I mention I had nothing to do?), but now that I'm working someplace where the work never ends ("busy, busy, busy," to quote Kurt Vonnegut), I've had to sort of figure out what works for me. And the tickler works, believe it or not. Anyway, the new thing is simple, and not life altering in the least, but it seems to be helping me keep track of the 900 pieces of paper that sometimes litter my desk like snow, and I'm sure once I get around to telling you about instead of building this up like some kind of exciting secret, you'll be all, "that's it?"

Anyway, so everyday I dump out my folder for the day, and I move it from the hanging folder to a yellow file folder that says "today" on it. A lot of times all the stuff I have to do all day is just following up with people; my boss copies me on practically every email she sends to her staff, and it's my job to go back a few days later and find out if they actually did what they were asked to do. Having everything there, within reach but put away makes it a little easier to concentrate without wondering if I'm forgetting something.

Anyway, writing this down, even I am thinking: So?

Yep.

So?