Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Quartet" is Over

Tonight was the final performance of "Quartet" at City Garage, and I have to say, it was a good show, but felt rather - for me, anyway - anti-climatic. Aren't most things that way? I was excited about it, and it was a long time coming, what with the extension and everything, and now I have a week off before tech rehearsals for "The Bald Soprano" begin (do I have a career in "lighting/sound operator"? I think not. I'm just hoping the next show is as easy as this one was), but otherwise it was kind of just another really good performance. I was just a little sleepier than usual, with a killer sinus headache.

Though, last night's performance was rather stellar, and comparisons are never fair. Troy made me cry, actually, last night, at one point. After seeing these shows multiple times, there are always moments that I totally identify with, no matter what the subject matter is; there's one section in Quartet that's always sort of sounded familiar to me, but last night he delivered his lines - it felt like, anyway - right at me. Not the words or the subject, necessarily, meant for me, but maybe generally speaking.

Here's what he had to say that was so interesting:

Life accelerates when death is reduced to a spectacle, the beauty of the
world doesn't cut as deep into the heart - have we got a heart, Marquise - while
we watch its destruction...

It's a good part of the show. Which, if you didn't see yet, well, you're out of luck.

I'm going to bed now. I have a feeling tomorrow's going to be busy at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment