Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Kiss Me I'm Irish?


Ask Paul is back!

Pauly,

When you lived in NY, did you ever go to McSorley's Old Ale House? I have had about four different instances where this place has been mentioned to me lately... and the quantity of times is striking me as more than just coincidental:

It's the subject of a Joseph Mitchell story in "Up in the Old Hotel," a collection of stories that I think originally were published in the New Yorker - I've read the book before but had gotten it out because I re-read everything (as much as I hate and despise short stories, short stories require just about as much concentration as I can muster right now), also, these are some very well-written short stories (I wish I had such an eye for detail); over the weekend, I watched an online "behind the scenes" thing about the sets used on "Heroes," and the set designer said she modeled a pub that's supposed to be in Ireland on McSorley's in NY; then of course during last night's episode, a character was mentioned (who didn't appear onscreen) named McSorley; then, in a NY Times story I was just now reading, about these Ukrainian women who make dumplings every weekend for some church, it was mentioned that the church is right next door to McSorleys... It sounds awesome (so did the dumplings).

Or maybe I just need a drink (or some Ukrainian dumplings)?

I think that judging by the extreme (what was it? four?) amount of times it's come up in the last couple of days, it's obvious that I am due for a trip to New York, no? Or Ireland, I guess, if you wanted to look at it that way: but I'm not greedy. I mean, could there be any clearer sign? Do you believe in coincidences?

Or should I just shut up and buy a six-pack of Guinness?

I know this is pretty silly: I just needed something to write about today, and I'm avoiding telling the truth about my job and how I'm feeling these days (stressed, overworked, a tiny bit blue, etc.). So instead I'm focusing on things that bear no importance, and working them up to operatic stature. I'm finding that I'm quite good at it.

Paul's Response:

Well, Irene, I was not of age during my New York Captivity, and you might be surprised how tightly NYC's finest enforce underage drinking laws in publick houses. However, I did have the chance to visit McSorley's when I traveled with four of LA's finest to the St.Patrick's Day Parade in 1998. It was one of the first stops during a long weekend spent almost entirely in bars, taverns, and police stations (all friendly visits between fellow boys in blue, to which I was privy only by virtue of my companions).

One of the guys with me on that trip was a transplanted NY Transit cop who lived in Marina del Rey and worked the Hollywood Division. His name happened to be McSorley. No relation. And when he flashed his ID, the wait-staff was more impressed with his cop-ness that his name.The place has charm, just two types of ale, and sawdust on the floor. The history is palpable, but at this point also palpably commodified. It's a place people go to go to an Old Place, not an old place people still happen to go to. And certainly by the standards of the old country, 160 years isn't all that long to be pulling pints.So I wouldn't say it's worth the trip on its own, even if the existential riptide seems to be pulling you thither, but if you're going to New York anyway it's definitely a worthy stop.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment