Sunday, June 10, 2007

Clarification: The Eraser


Today when I was working in the kitchen (you know, I've only been able to fit in a couple hours here and there... it's taking forever, I know, but please. Tell me when I've had time?), I took a good listen to Thom Yorke, and Patrick burned me a new copy of King Crimson's album, "Discipline." And I realized that I was wrong. "The Eraser" doesn't remind me of "Matte Kudesai." Well, maybe a little, there are definitely (in my mind only maybe, but my mind is the only mind of which I have intimate knowledge) similarities, but Thom's delivery of those first three lines is totally ripped off from Prince, especially the way his voice, at the end of "because you want something," dips down rather than coming up (as he does later in the song). I say, "ripped off," but I'm not being critical. I think it's pretty cool, actually.

Tonight's show went pretty well. I forgot one important detail about the CD player, but I think I'll keep it to myself. Other than the mystery detail, I made no mistakes: I'm quite proud, actually. My friend Julie reminded me this morning, when I was emailing her about my obsession with perfection and how hard I take it when I fuck up, that everybody makes mistakes. I believe her exact words were, "it's not brain surgery." Thank God! Can you imagine how uptight I would be then? Anyway, I think I knew that; I just get wrapped up in the things I get wrapped up in, and that makes for these fascinating postings, now doesn't it?

Tonight was the first night in ages where I carpooled with someone and didn't have to drive. Bo's car hasn't been working lately, so I've been quite happily picking him up and bringing him home, but today? Today I officially declared that I am sick of driving. For once and for all (well, no, I'm sure I'll feel differently in a few days, but I think in the last two weeks, I've driven something like 500 miles, which doesn't seem possible, but I think it's real)! Anyway, being somebody's passenger was a real treat for me. I didn't have to fuss with the radio or the traffic, I could put my feet up and take off my shoes and lean back and just ride in a car with somebody, and relax.

It felt good, to be honest.

Once I got home, we watched a movie we'd taped from VH1 Classic... It was a concert video about the band Genesis, I've forgotten the title of it [Genesis: In Concert], but they had Bill Bruford as a special guest. I knew none of the songs, I guess this was recorded right after the exit of Peter Gabriel (and I know zero Peter Gabriel-era Genesis songs)...? Anyway, it's always a treat to see and hear Bill Bruford (unless he's speaking - we've watched some instructional videos of his, and he is definitely not of this world. That guy just has too much information and too much musical genius-y type stuff going on; he's definitely talented and way beyond my reckoning), but I had no idea Phil Collins was such an interesting drummer. The songs themselves... well, for the most part, not especially my cup of tea ("Supper's Ready" was a pretty cool song, but I felt like I had seen and heard the same thing before, thanks to Pink Floyd and Rush). I could hear that they were good songs; I think maybe time has not been kind.

It was definitely interesting watching, though, and I do like many, many Genesis songs. I also liked the idea of there being a moment in time where Phil Collins had a wonderfully flat stomach and hair; I'm sorry, but I've always pictured him as a little tubby, balding - the way he looked in the "Easy Lover" video. But no, there was a point in time when he was a hairy stud, and I'm glad for him.

Oh, and remember how the other day I commented that I had gotten drunk and written things I couldn't remember the next day? I'm feeling like doing that again tonight, minus the getting drunk part. I think I'm going to log off and go to bed before I make any moves I'll regret in the morning. The morning, which is swiftly approaching. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment